Helmets Aboard The USS North Carolina (BB-55)

SergeantMajorGray

SergeantMajorGray

when I toured the USS Hornet , I saw several of the red painted DC helmets displayed on top of lockers with black stenciled markings

I didnt see any helmets like they have on the USS North Carolina, they only had the DC red helmets and a few plain OG post WWII type shells on display and a stack of light grey painted shells with a glossy finish

I wonder what the purpose of the yellow paint on the helmet above? I have a WWII shipboard helmet with some yellow paint on top, I wonder why ? it's just brushed on sloppy, maybe to cover the rust?

I think the gray helmet with red letters I posted is a damage control helmet. I think yellow might be a specific job I saw quite a few with yellow. Also the black one is for ordnance.

SergeantMajorGray

This is the worst seam placement I've seen it's no where near the front hell not even near the rear either this is the fixed bail XO helmet.

attachicon.gifrim error.jpg

If anyone has a picture more off center seam placement I would like to see it.

If anyone has a picture more off center seam placement I would like to see it.

Wow, ive never seen a seam off like that!...i have heard of them being off center a bit but dont see it often.....mik

SergeantMajorGray

Wow, ive never seen a seam off like that!...i have heard of them being off center a bit but dont see it often.....mik

You would think the XO would want his helmet to have the seam in the center B)

USMC-RECON0321

That helmet is a very rare "5PM helmet on Friday production" The heat stamp probably reads; "YES!!! Thank God its the weekend"

SergeantMajorGray

That helmet is a very rare "5PM helmet on Friday production" The heat stamp probably reads; "YES!!! Thank God its the weekend"

Or the early Monday morning "I hate my job" production ;)

These are amazing!!!!!!!!!!!Since these have not been on display I wonder how many might have disappeared over the years while no one was looking??????

Are you cataloging these just by how many of each type or each one by its individual features?Does the director of the Battleship understand what a treasure these helmets are?

SergeantMajorGray

These are amazing!!!!!!!!!!!Since these have not been on display I wonder how many might have disappeared over the years while no one was looking??????

Are you cataloging these just by how many of each type or each one by its individual features?Does the director of the Battleship understand what a treasure these helmets are?

They know how much of a treasure their items are and they are always locked up. They already have information on who might have used the helmet and what some of the paint jobs represent. They had no idea however on what the difference of fixed/swivel bales, liner types and stuff like that.

I'm pretty sure if I ever volunteered there I would end up asking to sleep there in a cot at night and never go home, just to be by all the cool helmets all the time :)

Helmets and life vest's.attachicon.gifmore helmets.jpg

Wouhaou ... at first the helmets, and I was crying in front of my computer's screen ;)

... and now kapok lifejackets, each being the holygrail of any serious USN collector :blink: ... given the price the last ones reached on Ebay, this battleship is a goldmine B)

Nope. Time capsules need to remain that way. I know everyone wants thier own piece of this for thier collection, but you don't get the chance to step back in time like that very often. 20 million helmets. Those should stay where they are.

• 2 years later...

Just visited USS North Carolina. According to the curator, this is a small portion of the helmets. The number that sticks in my head is about 700 helmets onboard.

post-6161-0-61709500-1457487695.jpg

post-6161-0-65273900-1457487697.jpg

• 1 month later...
SergeantMajorGray

On close inspection those appear to be M1 helmets with Hawley liners.

Yeah a lot are Hawley I don't recall any low pressures and there were very few swivel bails.

I'm pretty sure if I ever volunteered there I would end up asking to sleep there in a cot at night and never go home, just to be by all the cool helmets all the time :)

You don't have to sleep on a cot. For a small charge you can spend the night on board.

SergeantMajorGray

You don't have to sleep on a cot. For a small charge you can spend the night on board.

Not really there may be a few events where you can but it's usually for kids. If you join the Living History Crew you can during events there's usually 4 LHC events a year. That being said you can't go in the curators office if they aren't there :)

Not really there may be a few events where you can but it's usually for kids. If you join the Living History Crew you can during events there's usually 4 LHC events a year. That being said you can't go in the curators office if they aren't there :)

Sergeant Major I had a senior moment I believe. I was thinking about the Alabama in Mobile. I know they allow the Scouts to stay on board but I think they allow organizations like the MVPA and others to stay aboard also.

Ronnie

• 1 month later...

Has anyone established what the yellow painted M1 helmets on the USS North Carolina represented? I've read several theories, but so far I haven't seen a mention of a specific position on the ship.