Helmets Aboard The USS North Carolina (BB-55)

SergeantMajorGray

SergeantMajorGray

I am a new volunteer on the USS North Carolina among other things I will be cataloging the ships helmet collection since no one has done so yet. There is thousands of dollars worth of rare painted helmets and liners. Here are some teaser photos till I get more. I will try my best to upload pictures of every interesting helmet and the plane jane ones also but this is all I have now. Mods it would be cool to see this topic pinned or at least in the reference section. Thanks

post-104619-0-61677300-1373486937.jpg

SergeantMajorGray

great now u got me drooling on the keyboard

I already had to keep myself from drooling on their helmets.

SergeantMajorGray

A time capsule! Keep the pics coming. When did this ship go out of service?

June 27th 1947

SergeantMajorGray

Looks like there are some nice camo painted lids in there. :blink:

I can't wait to go through that stack one has a tiger painted on it and first lieutenant painted under it plus it's camo'd.

SergeantMajorGray

What a stash, you're very lucky to handle these!

I wonder if the stash is the same as on other Navy ships that are museums. And yes I'm very lucky.

Great helmets!....and great opporitunity for you!.....the USS Massachusetts battleship is not far from me and is a floating museum too, they have many helmets displayed throughout the decks, i can only imagine what they have behind the scenes!.......mike

the USS Massachusetts battleship is not far from me and is a floating museum too, they have many helmet displayed throughout the decks, i can only imagine what they have behind the scenes!

That was one of my favorite trips back in my Boy Scout days... spent a night on the bunks, too!

-- Jon

Amazing helmets. I remember touring the North Carolina back about 1971. Believe I still have a 20mm round paperweight bought at the gift shop floating around somewhere. Thanks for showing

hbtcoveralls

The North Carolina is a real time capsule. She was commissioned in 1941 and left the service in 1947, so really everything on board is of the time period. I heard that when the Marine Corps landing locker was opened in the early 90s there was a stack of USMC camo helmets and at least one Hawley smashed on the floor yet from when the locker was last opened presumably in the 1940s.

Tom Bowers