WWII vehicle invades Detroit

Bob Hudson

Charlie Flick

What are the chances that alcohol was a key ingredient in this episode?

Regards,

Charlie

The person in question lives about a mile from my house. He is a very love him or hate him type of guy and really has added a huge amount of unnecessary drama to the WWII reenacting and MV world over the years. I'll spare the details, I don't want to get the thread locked for "flaming" on him.

On this occasion he pulled a stupid stunt in a residential neighborhood and he got burned. Lots of us hope he learns a lesson and goes away.

I don't know that you can get into trouble for roasting a hot dog :)

Is he the sole owner of the museum at http://www.arsenalofdemocracy.org/ ?

He is the owner, curator, etc. and a funny coincidence is that the address for the "museum" is also his home address...and his house just burned down this spring...no foolin'.

The museum doesn't actually exist but the guy is such a bullsh*t artist that he manages to stay around. When one person or group get wise to him and leave, he somehow brings new people in. Its like a revolving door that turns enthusiastic historians and MV owners into disgruntled, pissed off people. Its nuts.

This is all a reminder that there is a large segment of the public that sees militaria collectors as some sort of would-be militia nuts (and we do indeed have those in our ranks) so if you don't want to answer tough questions - such as those from arresting officers - there are times when discretion is called for. Firing a fake machine gun while running around town in a war machine is not discrete and only invites trouble and, frankly, reinforces the worst stereotypes about militaria collectors. In light of what has gone on in the world - and right here in the US - the people who called the cops in fear did the right thing.

There's a fine line between what's acceptable/lawful and what isn't. For example, here in the UK a bunch of re-enactors could go on some maneuvers on private land equipped as fully-armed GIs, with blank-firers / replicas / de-acts, or whatever and as long as the appropriate authorities were duly notified of this in advance, no problem. However, if they were to leave said private land and then march along the High Street so equipped they would be liable to arrest in pretty short order....probably assisted by Armed Response Units (like your SWATs) Custodial sentences would then likely follow on a charge of carrying a firearm in a public place.

"Police arrested the driver... and confiscated his vehicle". Somehow that is just funny as can be!