Rare Navy .38 DA revolver and Holster Rig

NorwichCadet

NorwichCadet

Sharing my Navy S&W .38 revolver with holster rig- Navy .38 S&W .38 DA revolver (1 of 1000), 1889 pattern navy holster, 1889 pattern Navy cartridge box, and non era matching belt. If someone knows, what belt would be right era for this rig? The belt I'm using is modern era Navy belt only 1" wide. What uniform was it used for? THANKS

post-5639-0-05597000-1373385038.jpg

I can't answer about the belt, but the cartridge box looks....updated.

The wood block inside looks pretty white and new, I would expect it to be much darker, it also looks as though it has holes drilled for two speed loaders and six loose cartridges. The snap on the strap looks newer as well, I think they used post studs(or whatever those things are called)on the pouch body and a slit in the strap at that time.

Pretty cool in any case, thanks for putting it up!

Scott Meadows excellent book shows the USN cartridge box on page 409. The wood block looks the same as in the book, with the two big holes indeed meant for period and correct speed loaders. BTW.The block in the example shown in the book was indeed darker in color. Also, is the pouch embossed with USN?

Bob

NorwichCadet

The pouch does have the USN in oval but it is very hard to see. Both the pouch and holster have the "half" style closure snap I found referenced as used on these (see picture). The block does look cleaner than I would expect, but if a copy it is an excellent one.post-5639-0-93293800-1373450805.jpg

I can't answer about the belt, but the cartridge box looks....updated.

The wood block inside looks pretty white and new, I would expect it to be much darker, it also looks as though it has holes drilled for two speed loaders and six loose cartridges. The snap on the strap looks newer as well, I think they used post studs(or whatever those things are called)on the pouch body and a slit in the strap at that time.

Pretty cool in any case, thanks for putting it up!

I used to buy these at Bannerman's out on Long Island in the 1960's the wood blocks looked just like that.... Very nice pistol rig I had one of the latter Mills web one with the pockets and navy eagle snaps....either are hard to find....

The snaps are period correct... no worries this is all origianl.

• 2 weeks later...
Garandomatic

Is that a S&W 1899, or is it the 1902 "no change"? I just found a nickeled 1902 no change, maybe factory finish, 5" barrel, and real mother of pearl grips. Sucker was so neat I had to have it.