WW2 Parachute help with unusual back pad and seat ?

tolly

Guys i recently purchased this ww2 named seat parachute to a MAJ Jackson McDaniel

It is absolutely fantastic and 100 % complete however it has what appears to be a leather back pad and seat pad that each have valve of some kind that i assume was for air to make it more comfortable ? Is this correct or is this something i would never have guessed, also any idea of what planes he or this would have been used in ?

Any help is appreciated

Thanks in advance

017_zps53fc4999.jpg

018_zpsfaea3da6.jpg

009_zps887f10d3.jpg

in case you can not make out the stamp on the valve it is

SCHRADER

MADE IN USA

PATENT PENDING

I watched that one go on ebay. Nice chute, congrats.

Can't tell you much on the pad though. I am more used to seeing the green fabric style pad.

yeah, i think it was a bargain at least 50% of its worth considering it sold for over that the first time he sold it there, don't know why it was relisted ????

WWII Parachutist

Looks like a commercial civilian pad. Is the data plate on the pack tray military? If not, judging from the early date the entire rig could possible be civilian.

yeah, i think it was a bargain at least 50% of its worth considering it sold for over that the first time he sold it there, don't know why it was relisted ????

Shill bidder or non-pay bidder.

Harness is dated 43 and parachute log book is dated 43 thru 45 ........why would it be civilian if attributed to a member of the usaaf ? I am confused .....

Do the log book entries indicate it was inspected at AAF Bases? Is the chute marked as being AAF property? Maybe the Officer purchased a commercial seat pad to make it sit more comfortable. I could think of one possible reason a commercial chute was marked to an officer. He was a test pilot for a manufacturer and was using a commercial chute with a custom pad. Don't know enough about parachutes to say if its military or not.

I found the original auction E Bay #130889990636 I am guessing the chute had a reserve price on it of 1000.00 I think the bidders jumped it up to 700.00 but the winner ended up increasing his own bid paying 1000.00 to meet the reserve when in reality it should have gone for 700.00. That is just a guess. That's why he may not have completed the original auction purchase for the initial auction. The logbook was completed at an AAF facility but don't know for sure if the actual chute is military or not. Maybe a civilian instructor with a military background teaching at a contract training facility?

WWII Parachutist

Ok, I thought it was dated 1941 and thus thought it could be a civilian rig. Most likely a military chute with some non-standard parts added. Does the log record indicate the stations it was at?

Harness is dated 43 and parachute log book is dated 43 thru 45 ........why would it be civilian if attributed to a member of the usaaf ? I am confused .....

The war dept paracute log states he was was based as a usaaf instructor at Drew Field in florida for the 327th Base Group has about 20 to 30 dated entries supposely the 327th Base Group A Squadron" was a fighter interceptor training group that flew the Bell P39 Airacobra............