WWII P3 canteen covers. Opinions.

knd643

Hi. I am thinking about getting 2 P3 canteen covers covers and was wondering what you guys though of them. The first one im almost positive it is real but you never know because of reproductions(im mainly wondering because of the color of the cover). The second im not sure because it doesnt look like their is m1910 hooks. Sorry about all of the pictures being in different post, I couldnt get them to resize that well.

Thanks

First canteen cover

post-104203-0-20563800-1373334302.png

post-104203-0-92601600-1373334324.png

They both look good to me..

The hanger looks correct for USMC items, which have the angled ended hangers.

.anybody else have an opinion?

Leonardo

Absolutely good ones...

I must add that the one in the first pictures still shows trace of the "glued" line on the bottom of the hook tab. This is a feature that sometimes is encountered on Depot made items, maybe intended to prevent fraying. And this is a detail not yet minded by fakers...

Enclosed some pictures of a mint and unused P3 cover : you can better see the "glued" line...

Fausto

post-8381-0-83325400-1373352961.jpg

post-8381-0-55001600-1373352972.jpg

post-8381-0-55421600-1373352986.jpg

Absolutely good ones...

I must add that the one in the first pictures still shows trace of the "glued" line on the bottom of the hook tab. This is a feature that sometimes is encountered on Depot made items, maybe intended to prevent fraying. And this is a detail not yet minded by fakers...

Enclosed some pictures of a mint and unused P3 cover : you can better see the "glued" line...

Fausto

That is a amzing P3 canteen cover. Just wondering do you think the color on the first one is because of the lighting or is it a later made cover(45)? Im doing a Peleliu impression so these are going towards it.

I think that flash, or natural light can change the shadow of these covers. Mine is more greenish than it appears in my (poor) pictures. I have only this one. I have another P2 which is definitely a bright and nice khaki. Also I observed, just in many pictures, that also the trim colour can be different fron the rest of the cover. Some P2 covers are not marked, some are (mine is faintly marked).

As for the P3 - as far as I know - they are seldom marked and I don't think that Depot minded that much the shadow of his covers... so I wouldn't mind that much about the colour for your Peleliu impression. Anyhow I'm not a canteen covers guy... Maybe some other guys can be more accurate...

Here another P3 mint and unused cover (not mine unfortunately...) which is closer in colour to mine... Please note that this one has not the "glued" line...

Fausto

post-8381-0-90527600-1373357397.jpg

post-8381-0-56390700-1373357406.jpg

Here my P2... The colour is just like in person. Please note the green hook tab, and the faint 1941-42 markings...

post-8381-0-80390100-1373358070.jpg

Were P3s used at Peleliu? I was under the belief that p3s didn't start being used in numbers until Iwo Jima. Sorry I don't know about what marines wore at Peleliu, are you working off a photo?

Thanks!

Leonardo

Do you guys think the first canten cover is OD#7 or OD#3 that is just faded. Foxcompany1944 said that he thinks it is OD#3 just faded, I agree with him. What do you guys think?

Absolutely good ones...

Fausto

Sorry Fausto but my guy that makes such wonderful reproductions has been doing the "glued line" as you call it, since day one.

Ronnie

That's a bad news... I didn't think that also this detail had been copied... After all not all P3 covers have the glued band on the bottom of the hook tab...

You are correct Fausto. It seems that it was up to the manufacturer or the guy....or lady doing the sewing. Phil doesn't do it on all pieces that he makes.

Nice covers you have there.

Ronnie

The canteen covers are good examples.

In regard to the use of the P3 on Peleliu, my research indicates that they are an exception rather than the rule.

Out of 267 images I have from Peleliu, I have included the only 2 shots that clearly show P3's. As can be seen from the first image, the P3 has the funnel hole.

I highly recommend the following link to purchase some of the best images of USMC WW2 for reference

http://www.pacificamilitary.com/pmd/

post-60220-0-73519300-1373523183.jpg

Second image to follow...