Fixed Bale Officers helmet

doyler

Here is a fixed bail officers helmet I obtained from a friend.He got it out of a garage in Northern Minnesota.The wire on it is original to the helmet and appears to be a fine brass or commo type wire.The wire has left wear tracks in the paint from the shifting of the wire.Has anyone else encountered wire on an M1. All comments welcome.

RON

post-342-1207461901.jpg

Although very uncommon among US troops, chicken wire was used on M1 helmets in a few occasions. I have some footage of troops with this type of wire on their helmets while in training in the MTO. Certainly a practice that was copied from the Germans since it was effective to hold foliage.

Great helmet Ron!! I have seen many M1's but I must admit this is the first one I have seen with chicken wire....very impressive.I see the chinstrap has a name on it. That is a real "plus" also. What is the cord I can see exposed between the steel shell and the liner???? Could you post closeup's of that and also how the wire is set into the paint? Thanks for showing.

Regards

Zeke

A fantastic helmet from a A+++ Collection, in my opionion this has to be one of the finest M-1's in anyone's collection!

Wade

wouldnt a soldier usually remove a field modification like that after returning ? for inspections? in the field they might use wire but I doubt they would leave it on after returning from the war.

Great helmet Ron!! I have seen many M1's but I must admit this is the first one I have seen with chicken wire....very impressive.I see the chinstrap has a name on it. That is a real "plus" also. What is the cord I can see exposed between the steel shell and the liner???? Could you post closeup's of that and also how the wire is set into the paint? Thanks for showing.

Regards

Zeke

Zeke,

Thanks for looking and the compliments.The cord is a thin rope and is woven through the wire to help hold it in place.Will see if I can get a better pic.Im working with a small Sony camera and am having trouble with getting good close detail shots,

Take care.

RON

A fantastic helmet from a A+++ Collection, in my opionion this has to be one of the finest M-1's in anyone's collection!

Wade

Thanks Wade,

I think your a couple helmets up on me :lol::lol:

:blink: Wow, the first time I can see chicken wire for camo on US M1 helmet! Another killer from your collection! Congratulations

Yannick

:blink: Wow, the first time I can see chicken wire for camo on US M1 helmet! Another killer from your collection! Congratulations

Yannick

Thankyou for your intrest and compliments.I hope you enjoy them.

dhcoleterracina

I've only seen the chicken wire on German helmets but it makes sense to copy what works. If there is any concern about it you should go to the German collecting web-forums because theres been alot of discussion on whats good/bad etc. Nice piece