USMC UNIS Marked Gas Can

Alec

Snagged this over the weekend. Thought it was the wagon wheel mark per regulations, but looks more like the 6th Div UNIS marking, but it has a triangle at 6 oclock as well. Confusing, but no doubt a good Marine Corps item. The MC in the center....???? Motor Company.

post-7194-0-78144600-1373322179.jpg

1940Desoto

Nice find Alec, I have a pic of a Marine MP with similar marking on his M1 but with MP in the centre. I will locate it and post.

Cheers

Sean

I found out the hard way, no research, before you buy. But USMC is U.S. Metal Container, the MFG. Of the can, not the Corp.

I found out the hard way, no research, before you buy. But USMC is U.S. Metal Container, the MFG. Of the can, not the Corp.

Sorry, but I don't think so. The cans marked on the bottom were US Metal Corp. Cans marked on the sides were U.S. Marine Corps. Thanks, Al.

1940Desoto

A reference to 'no research' and Alec Tulkoff in the same sentence ???...that does not compute !!

This can is made by Bennett and is dated 1951. See image of bottom of can and link to another website that provides the details to markings.

http://g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=374063

We are all always learning hence the reason for this website. I am no exception. If I bothered to look at the bottom of the can I may not have purchased it since I am WWII and earlier collector only. Considering the look I got from my wife when I walked in the front door carrying it, I maybe should not have bought it.

post-7194-0-43252300-1373327068.jpg

A reference to 'no research' and Alec Tulkoff in the same sentence ???...that does not compute !!

???????

1940Desoto

Hirsca,

Reference...

I say again...A reference to 'no research' and Alec Tulkoff in the same sentence ???...that does not compute !!

Alec,

Here is the image I mentioned before, from Eric Hammel's 'Marines on Okinawa' A pictorial record.

post-60220-0-95967500-1373327879.jpg

Cheers

Sean

The gentleman is correct: USMC on the bottom is us container. I was referring to my on research as to the hard way to purchase. No direct comment to Mr. Alex., I do not no him personally. Just injection comments.

1940Desoto

Big Daddy, its all good mate :)

I wasn't ribbing anybody and I know you were not so happy days.

Alec has written 2 definitive books on USMC collecting, often referred to as the 'bible's' in this field. It was just funny that is all :)

All the best mate, and I have to ask, is your user name related to ED 'Big Daddy' Roth by any chance ? My other passion is Hot Rods, Roth was a very prominent figure in Hot Rod culture. Here he is with one of his creations in the 60's.

post-60220-0-44296900-1373331356.jpg

Cheers

Sean

No sir, not related to Mr. Roth. The story to this discussion, was I bought water can mark USMC on tHe bottom, and found out after the fact That it was the Container MFG. Bought it cheap and sold it at reasonable price, and it is mounted on a jeep. Mission accomplished, and it was green to my spouse, cash green.