Need recommendations for a blank firing 1911

Dr_rambow

Naturally I would prefer a live WWI era 1911, but financially it is out of the question. Even if I had the money, it may take quite a while to find the one I’d like to buy (I’m very picky). That being said, the main issue with a real one is that I live in New Jersey, where transporting a pistol out of state is illegal. Seeing how most of the events I do are in Philadelphia or elsewhere in PA, a real 1911 would be a very nice paperweight when I go out with the rest of the kit.

Long story short; is there a blank firing 1911 that you folks would recommend? I have looked at a few online and there appear to be some affordable alternatives, however I would want to get an approximate finish and switch out the grips to make it look more believable.

Thanks!

DesertRatTom

Given where you live, combined with where you want to visit, your best bet would most likely be a high-end Air Soft 1911 that is gas powered to simulate recoil and ejecting a spent case. From what I understand, the high end offerings are use for training - CQC, &c. and are capable of discharging a pellet. Check the state's laws and with your friends about this as an option. If possible, move to a firearms friendlier state.

Disclaimer: I am not an attorney, the above are suggestions only, not legal advice; nor do I have any interest- financial or otherwise in Air Soft and it's products.

If you are still looking for campaign hats, PM me as I have several ranging from pre-WWI to WWII in varying sizes. Also various packs & gear from the same time period.

I'm fairly well versed with NJ firearms law and while BB guns are considered firearms, airsoft is not. However, the gas powered versions may be a gray area that I'd like to avoid. I'll have to look into that more.

Thanks!

Hürtgenwald

It is possible to blank adapt a 1911, but you have to alter the gun so much that you can not put it back to firing condition. I have a Warner Bros blank adapted Luger that was done for Sgt York. It was done because at the time they could not blank adapt the 1911.

I would look for a beat up frame and slide and build one, but it will still cost you to do it correctly and make it safe.

making a blank firing pistol into something legal w/o proper papers is going to be a major hassle.

Call http://vintageordnance.com/ and ask Frank- He has been a LONG time US reenactor and sells some blank only pistols. Tell him I sent you, and he will tell you exactly how the ones he sells looks and what could be done to make them look better.

Jon Gawne

DesertRatTom

I'm fairly well versed with NJ firearms law and while BB guns are considered firearms, airsoft is not. However, the gas powered versions may be a gray area that I'd like to avoid. I'll have to look into that more.

Thanks!

Ooops, my bad. I forgot about that definition being a real PIA back east. I'm pretty sure that the Green Gas Air Soft would meet the same definitions. Given the costs of .45 brass, primers & powder, along with aquiring proper reloading dies (I'm assuming a round nose necessary for feedinding) then setting up might be unduely expensive. Talk with a Air Soft vendor, any LEOs you know along with your fellow reenactors in NJ; they've all BTDT.

Adapting an original (even a beat up one) would likely take more time and effort (not to mention money) to get it operating then buying an off the shelf blank gun and swapping out a few parts like the grips.

Jon, I've looked at other sights selling the same pistol, which seems to be the most realistically priced, so I'll give him a call and see what we can do. Thanks for the tip!

DesertRatTom, NJ is odd. Airsoft and paintball is not a firearm, but gas and even pump BB guns are. I could probably get away with a nice gas powered airsoft, but it would lack the theatrics should I ever want to do a "test fire" while doing a outdoor display.

"It is possible to blank adapt a 1911, but you have to alter the gun so much that you can not put it back to firing condition." ???????

Blank adapting an actual 1911, only irreparably damages the barrel. Parts need to be ground off and altered, but a spare barrel puts it back to firing order quickly! Since you only need to fire blanks, the barrel for blanks can be a scrap barrel (I've seen 'sewerpipe' barrels for $35.00), there are instructions online somewhere on the mods, a diegrinder, drill, tap, and the right size set screw is all you need!

I personally recommend Kimar as a good blank only gun, I have used mine for 5 years now with about 500 rounds through it, and not a glitch. Look hard online, you can, like mine, find them for about $65, and Sportsmans guide has blanks for about $20 per 50!

Sparrow