M1917 L.F.& C. Trench Knife

Tomjp

Hi,

I am cleaning out my fathers cabinet and found among other edged weapons this M1917 LF&C Trench Knife. I remember selling it in my grandfather's gun cabinet 40 years ago and I understand he had it for a long time before that.

Are these knives rare? I thought finding one in this condition with the scabbard is rare but someone mentioned it is not.

I do not see a lot posted online and those I see seem to be in much worse state.

Thanks,

Tom

P.S. thank you for the info to those who answered my question on the other thread I posted you identified the knife as a WW2 German boot knife. I appreciate the info

post-123813-0-23589100-1373292572.jpg

Thanks Marv.

Anyone have insights on how my item compares to most? I have found it on line and many I see are in worse shape and missing the scabbard. I have seen a few that are in slightly better shape including the scabbard. Just trying to get perspective

Tom,

Your knife would be rare if it had an extra pyramid; since it doesn't, like Marv said, it's not rare, but highly prized.

Now, here is the kicker. For every 7-8 knives like yours you may find one with an original scabbard.

While your knife by itself may sell for about $200, with the original scabbard it will command $500...or more.

Hope this is the answer you were looking for; if not, we'll try again.

Thanks GB. I appreciate the insight. I was given the impression it was worth only $400 but thought given initial research it should be worth closer to $500. I will hold out for more.

You are welcome. Since you are in it for the money, you may also want to consider selling them separately. If you are not in a hurry to sell the knife and the scabbard, you could get close to $400 for the scabbard and about $200 for the knife. Loose, original scabbards are *very hard* to find; so, if someone has a really nice knife and they don't have a lot of money in it, they'll pay big bucks for that scabbard. And like I said, the knife by itself will sell for about $200. Good luck!

Thanks GB. I realize that it being locked away for 50 years in a few cabinets is a waste. I thought the best thing to do is sell it to someone that would value it more than I do. It seems a shame to separate the item as it is the original. I might just try to sell together to make things simple. Thanks Tom

Still-A-Marine

I will be interested to see what else your father had. Like the others said, this is a very desirable piece. Any US military edged weapon collection is incomplete without one.

Bill

Sorry no other US military. I have a WW2 Type 30 Japanese Bayonet in excellent condition and a WW2 German Boot Knife also in Excellent condition.

• 2 weeks later...

I fully understand the policy of this forum to not allow members to post items for sale until they establish themselves. I understand there are scammers out there. I tried to post this knife to ebay but due to what they call " brass knuckles" they are restricted. So, I have this really great item of historical significance that has been in my family for the last 60 years. I am not a collector and would like sell it to someone that would really appreciate it. I would like to also keep it in the US. So any advice on how to go about selling it. I am not in a rush so I will not take a low ball price. I is in my gun safe and I do not want it to remain there like it was in my fathers safe for 30 years and my grandfathers gun cabinet for 30 years prior.

• 9 months later...

So, I have tried to sell this knife on gunbroker and other firearm related sites with no success. Any other suggestions where to try to sell it. It is once again just collecting dust, if you will, in the closet and I would like to sell it to someone that would appreciate it. If anyone out there knows anyone interested let me know.

Thank you for your consideration.

Hey tomjp,

Around here, NC, the knives are not scarce but the scabbards are very scarce and bring a good dollar. I am going to a gun show in Raleigh,NC tomorrow.

Elton

Manchu Warrior

So, I have tried to sell this knife on gunbroker and other firearm related sites with no success. Any other suggestions where to try to sell it. It is once again just collecting dust, if you will, in the closet and I would like to sell it to someone that would appreciate it. If anyone out there knows anyone interested let me know.

Thank you for your consideration.

I see you are in Las Vegas why not take it to Pawn Stars. they seem to overpay for militaria on a regular basis.

I'm not really looking to split up the pair. I am not a collector so I rather just sell it all together. I would think a collector will want the scabbard and then sell off the knife.

As for pawn stars they pay half of retail. I rather get close to retail.

loveofmylife89

They are not rare knifes but they have a high value and collectors go crazy for them I would see you having no issue getting 500-600 in the right setting and if thier is a lot of interest bids may go much higher !!