Up Armored Countermine PASGT, A Kevlar Cover for a Kevlar Helmet!

Ben@HI

this is something you don't see everyday. they are Kevlar covers for the PASGT Kevlar helmet (they also make them for the ACH) I just thank that a Kevlar cover for a helmet that is already made from Kevlar is pretty interesting. also for some reason these are pretty hard to find. they are meant to be used with a full suit. Vest with plates, arms, chaps, neck, Visor, Groin with plate and spider boots.

post-100928-0-54550600-1373280561.jpg

post-100928-0-46036600-1373280567.jpg

nope, no name on it just what looks to be an mfg date. I just noticed that the covers have slits for the extra straps that are added when using a PASGT as a paratrooper helmet. so I guess these were jumpable? I would have thought the extra weight would have made that out of the question.

Ballistic covers for helmets were used during the First Gulf War for certain CVC helmets. The DH-132 and DH-132A did not have the ballistic protective capability of the standard PASGT infantry helmet so a cover made of Aramid (Kevlar) was developed by NATICK to fit over the helmet shell. Have never seen a photo of one actually being worn in the field so doubt they were very popular.

Larrypost-9881-0-80766500-1373339979.jpg

Larry, with the Natick label were those early covers ever issued or only in the R&D phase?

Ben, with MajorGray's photo as a guide did a quick NSN lookup and found these. A photo of the complete set, as well a link to the instruction use manual dated Nov. 2005. These were made by Protective Apparel Corporation of America, Jacksboro TN. The covers were made in three sizes S/M/L

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=body%20armor%20countermine%20ensemble&source=web&cd=11&ved=0CCkQFjAAOAo&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.liberatedmanuals.com%2FTM-10-8470-203-10.pdf&ei=9YbbUeLoH5Tk8gTM2oDQDQ&usg=AFQjCNHApcSIBZshZXzW7PoMOHdNa5OvvQ&bvm=bv.48705608,d.eWU

post-98601-0-45676300-1373342515.jpg

SergeantMajorGray

Larry, with the Natick label were those early covers ever issued or only in the R&D phase?

Ben, with MajorGray's photo as a guide did a quick NSN lookup and found these. A photo of the complete set, as well a link to the instruction use manual dated Nov. 2005. These were made by Protective Apparel Corporation of America, Jacksboro TN. The covers were made in three sizes S/M/L

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=body%20armor%20countermine%20ensemble&source=web&cd=11&ved=0CCkQFjAAOAo&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.liberatedmanuals.com%2FTM-10-8470-203-10.pdf&ei=9YbbUeLoH5Tk8gTM2oDQDQ&usg=AFQjCNHApcSIBZshZXzW7PoMOHdNa5OvvQ&bvm=bv.48705608,d.eWU

Those boots are so cool!

SergeantMajorGray

nope, no name on it just what looks to be an mfg date. I just noticed that the covers have slits for the extra straps that are added when using a PASGT as a paratrooper helmet. so I guess these were jumpable? I would have thought the extra weight would have made that out of the question.

I don't think they are jumpable I read this on the link pump posted,

WARNING
Ballistic cover and face shield add weight to
the helmet. The assembly shifts the balance
point forward. A high risk of injury to the neck
may be expected when the soldier wearing
the helmet, helmet cover, and face shield is
subjected to external forces or accelerations
such as falls, jumping from heights, vehicular
movement over rough terrain, or direct impact
to the helmet.
WARNING

I don't think they are jumpable I read this on the link pump posted,

WARNING
Ballistic cover and face shield add weight to
the helmet. The assembly shifts the balance
point forward. A high risk of injury to the neck
may be expected when the soldier wearing
the helmet, helmet cover, and face shield is
subjected to external forces or accelerations
such as falls, jumping from heights, vehicular
movement over rough terrain, or direct impact
to the helmet.
WARNING

yep, I was reading the manual that Pump linked and it would seem that the two rear slits are for the J hooks on the strap for the face shield and not para straps. I thought that it was odd for this to be jumpable.

Ben - I suspect that the CVC helmet covers were still in the test and evaluation phase. Due to the rarity of these items (at least I've never seen very many) and the lack of photographic evidence of actual field use I think prototype is probably a safe category for these puppies.

Larry

SergeantMajorGray

Here is mine. Thanks Ben

post-104619-0-65175600-1373937732.jpg

So these are the helmets combat engineers use when defusing landmines right? Does the EOD use something different?

SergeantMajorGray

Just found this thread while Google searching countermine PASGT cover http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/60165-military-or-police-riot-gear/

Apparently someone had a suit out there for sale somewhere years ago I just have to find it.

So is the suit for defusing anti-personnel mines? Because the EOD suits I have seen in movies and on mythbusters seem to be way bigger and thicker. Does anybody know what EOD is actually using right now?

Also is this cover in the book about the PASGT? I'm making a YouTube video about this helmet and I want to know if the internet is the only place with info about this.

The U.S. Army training manual I linked stated this was for small/medium AP mines and Booby Traps. Internet searches found that the program started testing 1999 and was contracted first in Aug 2002 and again in 2005. Way past publication of any book containing PASGT info I'm aware of.

SergeantMajorGray

The U.S. Army training manual I linked stated this was for small/medium AP mines and Booby Traps. Internet searches found that the program started testing 1999 and was contracted first in Aug 2002 and again in 2005. Way past publication of any book containing PASGT info I'm aware of.

Thanks for the info.