A large cache of WWII German Medals and Tinnies brought back

rambob

Before I retired, I posted a WWII militaria wanted ad on the company bulletin board. A co-worker responded that his father fought in the ETO during WWII and brought back a large amount of German "medals and other stuff" he "collected" during the war. He brought in a ziplock bag full of the following items that I quickly bought and mounted onto the boards, I am showing here. From what I have found out, they are a collage of tinnies, day badges, insignia and other pins all obtained in Germany either during or shortly after the war. I do not really collect German items, but they make a great display in my home office. FYI. The lower row of the last board was described to me by an expert as having come off of German beer steins.

post-299-0-18776600-1373252921.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

That last row of beer stein pieces are actually souvenir items that you would nail onto a walking cane. I can't tell what they say but would bet they are from German towns, cities, castles, etc. The small hole on each side is were the nail goes to attach it to the cane.

I still have a ice pick covered with those things I picked up and put together in the late 1960s to early 1970s when my Dad was stationed in Germany. The Germans love to walk & hike and the serious walkers had canes covered with them. Kind of along the same lines as Dad's Rambler station wagon with all the US state stickers we passed through on the side window.

I will add that yours are a lot older being made of metal. While metal ones were sold when we were there, most were in color and made of a cardboard type material.

Skio, Thanks for the info on the 4 walking cane plates. Here is a larger photo of the plates which should allow you to read the text on them.

Bob

post-299-0-60804700-1374429289.jpg

Skio is correct. These walking sticks (sometimes shaped like ice climbing picks) are sold at most souvenir shops at tourist areas. The one you buy usually has a stag's head tag with the name of the place you bought it at. Then as you visit other spots, you buy the tag for that spot and nail it on. Kind of a moving brag stick to show how many places you have been to. I bought mine at a church on the way to Neuschwantein Castle and had it pretty much filled in two trips to Germany (just bought the tags on 2nd trip, as the cane itself is hard to take on a plane due to the sharp point). Had a #$%^& of a time getting it home from the first trip.

Nice to look back on now and say "been there, did that".

• 3 months later...
  • 6 years later...

I guess it is better to be lucky than good. Another ziplock bag of goodies came my way recently from a nice little old lady named Emily in answer to my newspaper ad. The highlight of the bag was an SS Skull Cap Insignia made be Zimmermann in almost mint condition. A very desired piece of WWII German insignia indeed.

Bob

post-299-0-51454600-1575743143_thumb.jpg

post-299-0-84713800-1575743193.jpg

post-299-0-77712800-1575743207.jpg

Skio, Thanks for the info on the 4 walking cane plates. Here is a larger photo of the plates which should allow you to read the text on them.

Bob

The first one is for Heidelberg Castle (Schloss), and the script is a local saying that apparently has been in use for decades "I lost my heart in Heidelberg". It is a very romantic city with a major university that dates back for centuries.