1950's era Navy Ferry Command patch(?)

Patchcollector

Patchcollector

Happy Saturday to all,
Here is a new arrival to my collection,no it didn't come via Stork! :lol:
The seller described it as a 1954 Navy Ferry Command patch,said it was framed with some "provenance" on back but he couldn't make out the writing.

It is a large piece,and even though it has a merrowed edge,it looks,at least to me,as if it could be from the era described.
It was sent to me without the frame,so if anyone here can ID this piece I would sure appreciate it.

Thanks!

This first pic is from farther away to show the size.

ZoomButt.gif
ZoomButt.gif
ZoomButt.gif

post-13386-0-06530700-1373143175.jpg

firefighter

Almost looks like a training Squadron.The stork is carrying navy wings and storks deliver babies, at least thats what my mom told me.So delivering new pilots?But the bottom part of the patch looks to have 'VX' which would mean Air Test and Evaluation Squadron. Hmmmmm!

Patchcollector

Yes I saw that site and patch.Here is an image of the patch you tried to post:

Also,another I found on Larry Stones site:

post-13386-0-96008200-1373146191.jpeg

post-13386-0-05262800-1373146234.jpg

Johnny Signor

Never seen this one before , but I'm thinking either a Naval Air Station or a VT training Sqd type , looks 50 ish .................................................

Johnny

firefighter

Never seen this one before , but I'm thinking either a Naval Air Station or a VT training Sqd type , looks 50 ish .................................................

Johnny

I was also thinking a VT squadron but that 'VX' on the patch was throwing me off.I looked thru my WW2 National Geo but couldn't find the patch.

Johnny Signor

I don't think it really stands for "VX" I think it just depicts "runways" so if you can find a NAS with those set up of runways that may be where it was from ............

firefighter

I don't think it really stands for "VX" I think it just depicts "runways" so if you can find a NAS with those set up of runways that may be where it was from ............

I hate when they do that.

Johnny Signor

Yeah , when it comes to the Navy patches , they are at times very hard to track down, they changed unit designation so often , kept the same design but the titles changed and so far I've yet to find a really good book/s that have a really indepth study of them form WW2 and or latter eras , I'm thinking 50's era on this patch

You might want to try posting it over on the VP Navy site

• 3 years later...