101 ST IKE GROUPING

Costa

GUYS--- THESE AIRBORNE IKES ARE POPING UP WAY TO MUCH. SELLER FOUND IT AT ESTATE SALE. NO DATED SPEC TAG.

HAS SEPERATE LISTING FOR PAPERS AND OTHER ITEMS. YOUR TAKE ON THIS GROUP----------

EPAY ITEM NUMBERS 290941619497----- 290941622377

post-73-0-55242900-1373130610.jpg

Timberwolf

Sure looks real to me, would have no reason to question it. What don't you like about it? Paul

I agree. Also what makes you think there have been a lot of AB ikes popping up lately. Looks like the same amount that ebay usually has.

IN TODAYS MARKET OF MILITARIA ONE HAS TO QUESTION JUST ABOUT ANY ITEM OF INTEREST THANKS TO THE REPRO HUMPERS OUT THERE.

Normandy1944

I wonder why the seller split this beautiful grouping (if it's original...).

It's also suspicious to me why there is no date inside.

I contacted the seller about it, and he told me

it must be an early issue ike jacket as the only tag in it is pictured and it is not like the standard quartermaster tag that generally has pattern date and manufacture date.

If someone knows more about such jackets, please tell me.

I consider to buy an airborne jacket, but I definitely want to know that it's an original (not a put-together)

pathfinder505

I thought it looked good. I even thought of bidding on it but its going pretty high.

I would guess it is being split to bring more money. If someone wants the jacket and the paper they will have to bid high on both to keep it together.

Personally, If I wanted the jacket, I would also want the paperwork.

The Ike looks like a possible reissue, as the laundry code doesn't match the vet's ASN on the paperwork lot. On first view, though, it looks like a nice piece. The DUIs look good, only question would be the back of the glider badge. Maybe one of the patch experts here could identify which variant of the 101st patch it is.

On another note, personally I don't understand the "Because I can only have 12 pictures I'm breaking this grouping into two lots" argument, but it's not mine to sell. I agree that there have been a decent number of airborne Ikes with all the bells and whistles popping up on eBay recently. Just the ebb and flow of collecting, I suppose, but you never know.

-- Jon

Kurt Barickman

I think it is the real deal, what makes you question it? Too much documentation otherwise; not to even mention the 321st DIs which are quite scarce.

Kurt

Looks fine to me.Lack of a CIB isnt a deal breaker.

As far as so many on the market I have said this a lot lately with all the vets(their children) and even older collectors passing away we are going to see a fair amount of material hitting the market in the next 5-10 years.More than in previous years.

I will add I have a small group from a 506th vet.He was a replacement after Normandy.Jump trained in England.Was involved in Market Garden and then the Buldge.Have mainly his uniforms(42 jump jackets,mint 43 jacket,42 reinforced trousers,mint 43 reinforced trousers etc).The ike jacket is a cut down 4 pocket.He had this done after getting home by his mother.I saw a picture of him in it.No shoulder cord or fancy insignias.

He was injured in a non-military accident at the end of the war.Col Sink was going to court martial him and his buddy after they got out of the hospital for being injured while operating a non-military vehicle(yes alcohol was involved).In Sinks infinate wisdom he re-assigned them to another unit to teach them a lesson as the war was done in europe and he was seeing them off to the PacificHe needed clothing to travel.He had nothing after getting out of the hospital.Most all of his clothing he borrowed or "aquired" is not named to him.I pulled his discharge from a area court house and he was discharged as part of the 513th.He had the last laugh on sink as he was here state side being re-assigned and the war ended and the rest of the unit was still in Europe waiting to rotate home.

Just saying if this group came up on e*bay it would be crucified as there is nothing that ties it all to the vet.Plus his discharge lists him as part of the 513th nothing listing service with the 101st just mention of his campaign stars.THis group is a typical case if you didnt meet the vet and know the back stories it wouldnt add up.

Normandy1944

Thanks for the information guys.

I saw the current bid is above my budget, so I'll let this one pass.

BigJohn#3RD

First off; I have learned through very hard experience that it is not worth the time and effort to try and bid on a group that has been split up. In the end you are just frustrated. The owner has every right to split it up but to say because of limit of pictures (12) he split it, I do not know???? :blink: Sounds and smells like....., Like Ron said there will be more grouping in the future and personally I like to handle it before I buy it unless I know the individual well. Just a personal preference based on hard learned experience on eBay .

Regards,

John

He was discharged in September 45. Would he have been issued the two cords by then? I thought the 101st got them later?

Turns out I know the seller personally.

Seems there is a author who interviewd the vet as well prior to his passing.