WWII 31st Infantry Officer POW Grouping -- Medals, Trench Art and more!

HistoryNut

HistoryNut

This is a grouping I purchased earlier this year...I feel it is the "Holy Grail" of my collection. I purchased it from a man that was selling it for the son of the veteran. I am honored to be the temporary steward of this group!! The Bronze Star is named and the mini POW medal has the veteran's initials. As you can see many of the other items also have his name. Luckily, the veteran documented his WWII military history on his mess kit, canteen and musette. I have also found several websites that have documented the names of the prison camps he was in. There is also a website that shows a picture of the Lt. showing his diary to one of the troops that liberated him.

post-13256-0-10768900-1373075656.jpg

HistoryNut

Original photos after liberation and one of him in later life. The Lt. was wounded 18 Dec 41 and had his leg amputated 9 Sep 43. As you can see he has an amazing "makeshift" wooden leg.

HistoryNut

A couple of great patches, an I.D. card, his cap and a flag. The flag is made from a piece of his shirt sewn to a chop stick...any ideas on this. I am sure the purpose of the flag is lost with time!

post-13256-0-92046800-1373076544.jpg

HistoryNut

Personal items...shocking he was allowed to keep them and that they survived his horrific ordeal!

post-13256-0-06081700-1373076719.jpg

HistoryNut

Writing under musette flap. This is the last photo of this grouping...sorry there were so many. Thanks for looking!!

John

post-13256-0-13739700-1373077345.jpg

KASTAUFFER

Absolutely beautiful group. I've collected POW groups for a long time and thus one is just outstanding.

Kurt

HistoryNut

Wow...I knew the diary existed because I found the same photo on the internet during my research! I had no idea that it had been purchased and posted here on the forum. Thank you very much for the heads up!

Very nice grouping, I just picked up an M-1 helmet from E Company 31st Infantry and it belonged to a Lieutenant. Of course it was probably issued during the occupation of Japan but quite a coincidence. Scott.

Here you are, as I said its an M-1 so not used in the Bataan campaign, but I thought it was quite a coincidence. Scott

post-22-0-19689500-1400332225.jpg

post-22-0-98286600-1400332228.jpg

post-22-0-08790900-1400332232.jpg