NAVY NURSE CORPS QUESTION

navyman

Hi,

Can someone tell me if the NNC wore the hats without the visors and with regular navy officer insignia? I want to I.D. these hats for my website. Example below. Also have a white one with metal insignia and I have one with the NNC insignia with gold chin strap. Is that one early war(the one with NNC insignia)?

If you need pics of the others let me know.

post-2501-0-09756100-1373063219.jpg

Jason

Jason,

I looked in my book "Dressed for Duty". This is what I found.

The one with the gold chin strap is the earlier version. This is what it says in the book:

An unusual service hat was introduced with the NNC uniform in 1942 and worn until October 21, 1948. It consisted of a cloth hat top, standard 4cm wide naval officer’s mohair band turned under to a width of 3 cm, a gold officer’s chin strap, and gold embossed USN screw post buttons with corresponding metal grommets. The Navy Nurse Corps badge, a gilt spread oak leaf, superimposed with the NNC initials in silver upon an acorn, was pinned to the center of the vertical seam of the hat top. The hat top was available in Navy blue and white.

The one shown and the white one you mentioned are from later in the war. This is what it says in the book about those:

On February 26, 1944 Navy nurses were given commissioned rank, equivalent to that held by men, for the duration of the was an six months thereafter. Therefore, in March 1944, nurses were authorized to war the Navy commissioned officer’s cap device and mohair ribbon, which replaced the NNC emblem and gold chin strap and buttons. This hat was authorized for wear until 1948.

I hope this helps, Kat

Thanks Kat,alot of good info. I think the white hat does have a tag that say navy nurse corps, the blue and the grey are msde by Knox maker.

I love your 1st pattern navy nurse hat !!!

My navy nurse hat collection http://m.flickr.com/lightbox?id=8351252896

Thanks for sharing. You have a very nice collection and pictures! I will do a page on women uniforms, I only have a few. WW1 cpo women jacket, a ww2 waves group, and a Spar jacket and I think skirt. May have some seersucker items as well.

Jason