Civil War Bronze Cannon and Crew "Gettysburg"

kanemono

Here is a small bronze that is "lost-wax" cast in bronze. The piece is 9" tall and depicts the crew of a "Napoleon" ready to fire. I tried to get every detail of the cannon and crew correct.

Dick

post-9487-0-56553500-1373050537.jpg

Jack's Son

Your work is impressive! I had no idea you dabbled in wax casting Dick, we do have talent on this forum!! :)

Thank you Robin and Terry. I have done hundreds of sculptures most are not related to US military subjects and can't be posted here. If you look at the "GI Joe Prototypes" you can see some of my work.for toy companies. Here is a small bronze that is American and historical so if you really push it can be posted. I have done quite a few whaling pieces.

Dick

post-9487-0-32956100-1373057305.jpg

willysmb44

Stange barrel, the gun looks about the size of 6-pounder (and when compared to the size of the figures, given the heights of men in that timeframe, more like a Mountain howitzer carriage) but it has handles on the top, which you would not find on a field gun of that size.

Hi Willy,

I was commissioned to do this sculpture by the family of one of the top collectors of Civil War cannon in the US. This was his favorite cannon that he and his crew used for re-enactments and cannon firing competitions, They won many of the competitions. I worked from drawings and photographs I took of the cannon. I also had some of the top Civil War collectors and reenactor's look at the wax before it was cast in bronze to make sure there were no mistakes. However I am always to hear suggestions about any detail in my work. Thanks for commenting.

Dick

willysmb44

Ah, that makes sense. 3/4 scale guns were really popular in the early days of civil war re-enacting, mostly because you could use wagon wheels. My Dad built his own 3/4 scale 6-pdr in the 1960s, but later built artillery wheels for it and a full carriage with bronze hardware, all in that scale. Scale guns were really popular until the hobby got big enough when people instead started plunking down money for full sized guns. Smaller re-enactments (like in the West or places where the hobby isn't that big) still can be seen from time to time.

I'd be willing to bet a lot that the gun you documented for your sculpture was a scale gun. The tube looks like a M1841 12-pounder to me, but is way too small to be anything but a scaled tube.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

Fantastic work you have done i really like the look of the civilwar troops and cannon, I have worked in the " Lost-Wax" myself not easy, very well done i look forward to seeing more of your work.

Dave.

• 1 month later...

Stange barrel, the gun looks about the size of 6-pounder (and when compared to the size of the figures, given the heights of men in that timeframe, more like a Mountain howitzer carriage) but it has handles on the top, which you would not find on a field gun of that size.

I noticed the same things as you did on the tube. I've been involved in War Between the States and Indian Wars reenacting & living history for 20 years now and have never seen a "Napoleon", with a barrel that looked like this one. Otherwise, the sculpture looks very good and hats-off to the cretaor of this piece.