How to keep a WWI Wool uniform in good condition

ColdWarRules

ColdWarRules

Hi there!

My great grandfather's WWI uniform is in VERY good condition and I'd like to keep it that way for my family in the future. I've heard "put it behind glass", "don't let sunlight get to it to much".

But they weren't...the most experienced with uniforms...and really with militaria at all.

I did look it up and it said keep sunlight away from it to prevent fading, already blocked my windows in my room. No sunlight touching the uniform now. Also it said don't hang it on a hanger because then it will eventually lose it's form and may/may not damage it on the inside so I bought a mannequin torso for display/keep it in the best form possible.

My room is humidity controlled (despite Missouri's sweltering heat), and I do have a cat...

Thoughts?

post-110320-0-44654500-1373030959.jpeg

personally I feel the best way for anything wool is behind glass... mainly because it keeps dust off of it. Dust can get down into the wool and can be next to impossible to fully "remove" without damage. Also behind glass doesn't allow any bugs at it.

another thing: I would keep it off of the wall as the hot or cold wall with wool touching it could cause the wool to become moist (under the right conditions.. ).

I would definitely spray for bugs as the silverfish or moths would love to make a meal out of that nice jacket.

My uniforms are kept in a closet in garment bags with cedar balls. They are taken out periodically and searched for any sign of insect damage, and if needed (for any reason, not just insects) vacuumed to remove any dust or particles. Then, back they go. It's best to keep uniforms laid flat, not on a hanger, but I have no room for that (otherwise they'd be on display!) When I did have them on display, I checked them for any damage regularly as well as vacuumed and/or lint rolled them to remove dust. Some of the museum guys might have better suggestions...

everforward

What Dave said.

I have a cedar wardrobe that all the wool stuff stays in, and I do believe in quality slope-shouldered hangers, or anything that puts as little stress as possible on the seams.

I meant get a case big enough to put the whole mannequin inside :)

otherwise it's probably fine sitting out like you have it, as long as your cat will leave it alone.

when periodically vacuuming, if you use a screen over the fabric, it will keep it from pulling on the fibers.

ColdWarRules

I can't find one via google, anyone have a link? I'll try to find one used to save money.

Well, to be honest you have to look at exactly where and how it is being stored. On one hand the best way is to probably put it in acid free paper in an acid free box and hide it away flat in a humidity/temp controlled sealed room.

However of you want to have it out to display, then you have a few enemies: light (and not just sunlight) heat, humidity, bugs and minor small issues like abrasion from dust over time.

IF you have the light issue under control - and by all means do not turn on any lights in the room unless you're I there. and humidity and keep the temp from fluctuation. Humidity is important! Raise the humidity enough and mold spores that are everywhere will start growing.

And if not covered, every few years give it a soft vacuuming (use a screen like a sweater washing screen to hold the fabric down), then your biggest threat is from bugs. Now I am not sure what is the problem in your area- in mine its moths- in your area it could be beetles or something. The single best thing you can do for this is to be careful of anything new brought into the room, and periodically vacuum the room as most nasty bugs will also eat the small debris that accumulates on the floor.

I STRONGLY recommend you place a pheromone trap in the room for the specific kind of bugs that cause problems in your area. I prefer http://www.insectslimited.com/ over generic store bought brands. what this will do is not only (in the case of clothes moths) trap any males so they cannot reproduce, but give you a head's up you have a problem before it gets bad. I know, they are expensive, but they have started selling in smaller packs, and you can always form a "moth club" with some collector friends so that every x months someone buys a pack and then splits it up at a show.

Even with my quarantine procedures, between my collection and my wife's desire to collect every antique fabric under the sun, I have had two moth infestations in my house in the last 20 years. (I blame her for the first as the trap in her area went first). But, the thing is that before I found a hole in something I saw a dead moth in the trap, and sprung into action and nuked the house. I keep one on every floor, and if I find a problem go all out, and can even pin point the room they seem to be starting from.

There are other things you can do, like spray the wool with a poison, but it might have a long term effect on the wool (I don't know), you can use the (gulf) no pest strips - which put off nerve gas to bugs and kill everything that ventures in the room, but some people worry about long term effects on people and animals (studies don't show that though). You can keep moth balls in the case (not as effective as the strips), cedar doesn't really do much.

With this kind of thing it is going to cost you for ongoing upkeep. You just have to accept it.

And after all that it will either be swept up in a tornado, swallowed in an earthquake, hit by a meteor, be drooled on by zombies. Nothing lasts forever.

An additional option you can explore, though it can be high on cost, but is worth it imo. Is this option for windows from 3M, can also be used just sized to fit your display cases. [btw, not supporting a commercial website here, just providing a link as it is more explanatory].

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Window_Film/Solutions/Markets-Products/Commercial/Sun_Control_Window_Films/Ceramic_Series/