Thanks for all the great advice guys. I would like to clarify though what I intend to do with the liners. I agree with many points, especially about leaving the vintage liners the way they are - however, many are very dirty (mud, cobwebs, grass, dirt, and dust) and as a retailer I like to present an item that is balanced between being as close to original as possible and at the same time clean. As a standard practice I try to clean as much as possible with material dry (ie brush, dust, air hose, vacuum) - getting things wet in most cases I have found causes staining, using soap on material causes premature fade, washing machines shred and cause a great deal of fraying from the motion (I made this mistake once). Leather components (sweatbands) cleaned lighty when dry, material is brushed.

This is my plan:

1974 & onwards liners: Remove snap in suspension, wash (water & soap) dirt of liners, brush/dust dirt and dust off of snap in suspensions, brush nape straps, and then reassemble (this way I have a product that is all the same - used, clean, & original) - also, spending time on each one allows for a thorough inspection of all components, being assembled it is very eacy to miss something small like a small tear on the suspension or a snapped clip.

1964-1974 : remove all components, wash exterior of liner (soap and water), brush suspension still attached to liner, use a wet rag to dust clean inside

1964-1969 : same as above

1955-1963: Same as above for complete ones. Liners that are damaged too bad will still be lightly cleaned and sold as-is (or traded for other componets)

1955 and earlier - same as above. Many of the WW2 ones and post WW2 the A washers are very corroded, and many have very poor condition webbing. For these ones (very poor shape) I dont have the time or want to do major refurbishing. Previously I wrote that I wanted to refurb a couple to learn (so that I can spot refurbished ones, so I know the technique and can advise on the pros and cons to customers, and to have a few in my own display that I was able to recover). No intent to paint, no intent to remove components and replace - that would be a full time job :)

Nperry & Doyler: I agree 100% with your points, my true passion is German WW2 helmets so I see this "messed with" condition often.

Once again everyone, thanks for the advice and all the kind words.

I think some collectors have a fantasy that the dirt is from the battlefield when in all likelihood it is from someones garage or basement. Are they WWII bugs in the liner??? I doubt it.

I am sorry but I really do not think cleaning a disgusting bugridden liner ruins it.

Keeping it dirty does not make it somehow "more original".

Especially the VN era liners.

They clean up really nicely with a little soap and water.

Just because you clean them doesnt make them somewhat less original.

BTW, I hope I am not offending anyone.

This is just my opinion on the topic.

I see that others have different opinions and I do respect them.

In the end it is up to the person who purchased the item to make this decision.

I think some collectors have a fantasy that the dirt is from the battlefield when in all likelihood it is from someones garage or basement. Are they WWII bugs in the liner??? I doubt it.

I am sorry but I really do not think cleaning a disgusting bugridden liner ruins it.

Keeping it dirty does not make it somehow "more original".

Especially the VN era liners.

They clean up really nicely with a little soap and water.

Just because you clean them doesnt make them somewhat less original.

BTW, I hope I am not offending anyone.

This is just my opinion on the topic.

I see that others have different opinions and I do respect them.

In the end it is up to the person who purchased the item to make this decision.

I dont think anyone will be offended by your point of view, especially me - I agree with everyone on some level, I like original but also like clean :) My thanks for the advice and kind words was also directed at what you wrote :)

Some helmets and liners do have dirt and stuff from the battlefield and should not be cleaned but these are dirty from sitting outside in a field I see no problem with cleaning them.

Grandson of Command Sergeant Major Max I Gray U.S Army

Also grandson of CWO-3 Arthur WillIam Seabury jr. USMC

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

Some helmets and liners do have dirt and stuff from the battlefield and should not be cleaned but these are dirty from sitting outside in a field I see no problem with cleaning them.

The only problem with the cleaning is how much my employees are complaing about having to do them all :)

The only problem with the cleaning is how much my employees are complaing about having to do them all :)

Hire me I clean em all and take some as pay :)

Grandson of Command Sergeant Major Max I Gray U.S Army

Also grandson of CWO-3 Arthur WillIam Seabury jr. USMC

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

I think you have a terrific plan, showing caution where appropriate. Nice find, nice plan. Reasonable.

o Writer, including contributions to World at War Magazine,

Vietnam Magazine, Discovering Family History, Family Chronicle,

Oregon State Bar Bulletin, Portland Family Magazine
o Owner 1943 Ford Jeep
o Collector WWII German Submarine badges
o I love WWII home front materials

I've cleaned out more than one dirty, greasy liner with nothing more than warm soapy water. The end results were well worth it. I have no problem with that whatsoever!

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!"

Winston Churchill

" Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans."

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

I bet there's huge warehouses of gear that the government owns... It's still out there!

I agree, but a large amount of it is probably rotting away from long term storage or poor storage conditions like these liners that were stored outside

if these liners would have been left outdoors much longer they would have probably been thrown in the dump

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I really had my fingers crossed that there would be at least a few vintage ones, it was a pity they did not take care of them more.....very happy though with the entire purchase, it goes well with the 1500+ steel shells I have left from the 4000 I purchased a year ago :)

Congratulations on your big score! I am interested in purchasing the steel shells if you still have them & if they are for sale. Also, if not for sale do you have a suggestion on a source for me to pursue for bulk steel shells.

Congratulations on your big score! I am interested in purchasing the steel shells if you still have them & if they are for sale. Also, if not for sale do you have a suggestion on a source for me to pursue for bulk steel shells.

Please send requests with offers to purchase to the original poster via private message. This is a discussion area and not a sales area. Thanks!

"There is no such thing as an expert, only students with different levels of education."
donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif