700 helmet liners :)

simon_rozendaal

simon_rozendaal

Hi everyone - been a while since I was last on here, thought I would show my latest find :) Got back from the US yesterday, was down there to pick up 700 liners that I heard about in march. Was told that there were ones "with green insides and brown insides" - seller was not able to send pictures. So, I drove down with my trailer.......(approx) 350 of them were modern M1 liners with the removeable suspension, 50 of them were late VN era ones (A washers & nylon shells) - the rest are WW2 & Korea era ones !!! Many of insides are rotted (exposed to the elements) on the older ones, and the paint is cracked and flaking on quite a few - gonna be busy for a while sorting, disassembling, cleaning, repairing / restoring - will post a few pictures as I go :) If anyone has some bulk sweatbands, nape straps, suspension harnesses - PM me, wil trade or purchase. As well, looking to sell a bunch of WW2 & Korea liners - or trade for replacement components for when I start to refurbish / repair.

simon_rozendaal

1972 - 1984 Nylon shells, the ones in the large box are ones where I removed the suspension harnesses, sweatbands, and nape straps - next stop for these ones is the wash bay

post-62169-0-89099300-1372991174.jpg

simon_rozendaal

These ones stacked on the floor are waiting to be disassembled.

post-62169-0-53201900-1372991422.jpg

simon_rozendaal

These are some of the ones with suspension attached by A washers, some are damp so I am letting them dry over the weekend

post-62169-0-61720500-1372991589.jpg

1SG_1st_Cav

Good luck with these. You have your work cut out for you. Danny

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Forum Member #1691 since September 2007

Served in the US Army from 1960-80

First Sergeant (Retired)

Vietnam 1967 with 7-15th FA ~ [8"/175mm Gun] First Field Forces

Vietnam 1968 with 1-30th FA ~ [155mm] 1st Cavalry Division [AIRMOBILE]

President & Historian 30th FA Regiment Association ( WWW.HardChargers.Com )

Celebrating the 100th Anniversary of the 30th Field Artillery Regiment in 2018

Catfishcraig

Congrats on the big haul! Was it in somebody's garage or what?

Thank you to all that have served our country and to your families that have sacrificed without your presence at home. Thank you to all that have given their lives for my freedom and to their families that suffer. May God bless you!

CHASEUSA11B

Wow! Now that is an amazing haul- I'm sure you'll get a lot of interest from forum members.

simon_rozendaal

Congrats on the big haul! Was it in somebody's garage or what?

The lot was in the field behind thier house :)

simon_rozendaal

Wow! Now that is an amazing haul- I'm sure you'll get a lot of interest from forum members.

I really had my fingers crossed that there would be at least a few vintage ones, it was a pity they did not take care of them more.....very happy though with the entire purchase, it goes well with the 1500+ steel shells I have left from the 4000 I purchased a year ago :)

Catfishcraig

Field of dreams

Thank you to all that have served our country and to your families that have sacrificed without your presence at home. Thank you to all that have given their lives for my freedom and to their families that suffer. May God bless you!

Congrads on your find; however I would go easy with the disassembling, cleaning etc. There are enough collector-messed with liners without creating a new pile of them. IMHO many of the WWIIs should be left as they were found.

NPerry

simon_rozendaal

Congrads on your find; however I would go easy with the disassembling, cleaning etc. There are enough collector-messed with liners without creating a new pile of them. IMHO many of the WWIIs should be left as they were found.

NPerry

The only ones I am taking apart is the post VN ones, the WW2 and Korea ones I am going to clean and that is about it :) I may refurbish a few just to learn how to and have some to display in my own collection.

wow!

You are his witness now, without a witness, they just disappear!

Quote from the movie TAKING CHANCE 2009

donation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gif

Wow!!!!

I collect items from The Battle of Iwo Jima (1945).

Top Iwo Jima Items I'm Looking For:

1) IDed 5th MarDiv Corpsman Jumper or Forest Green Coat.

2) IDed Coast Guard Navy Jumper

3) IDed CB's Sea Bee's Navy Jumper

4) IDed 147th Infantry Regiment Army Service Coat

5) IDed 32nd ID Army Service Coat (Occupation Kyushu with 5th MarDiv).

I am always looking for named and dated WWII USMC Forest Green wool alpha jackets/coats from the 5th Marine Division or other units who participated in the battle.

My Blog "Marines In Forest Green" http://marinesinfore...n.blogspot.com/

simon_rozendaal

I was sh&^%ng bricks and trying not to get too excited about the discovery....was worried it was too good to be true when the seller approached me in March.

Remarkable! :o

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!"

Winston Churchill

" Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans."

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

I have had some luck cleaning liners. I would require hand washing. What you can do is turn the liner upside down and add a drop of Wisk to it. Add COLD water and swish it around. Then rinse well and let dry. It will make a world of difference. Also you can probably put the removable webbing in a regular washing machine. Wash using cold water and then let air dry.

My opinion on cleaning is that unless the item is identified to a specific soldier or is not in need of cleaning, clean it.

I have washed helmet covers using Woolite or Wisk.

I have the uniforms I get dry cleaned so why not clean a helmet liner?

Anyway, good luck.

If I lived close enough, I would come over and help you.

I think it would be fun. :D

I would avoid the cleaning and refurbishing as well. Dry cleaners are professionals at cleaning and restoring clothing. Collectors are not and liners are not clothing. There are professional conservators: Michael Ovchinikov in CA and Gary Hollingsworth in FL. Most if not nearly all collectors are not qualified to attempt helmet restoration. Some of the results are obvious and some aren't. In fairnes, I suppose once you own an item, it's yours to mess with, but I would never use Woolite, goof-off , H2O or anything on an original liner in my collection. I don't know how many completely un-collector-messed-with helmets there are, but not as many as there were in the 70s. Nothing personal. My preference is untouched helmets, and I don't believe there will be very many of them in the very near future.

NPerry

I have cleaned out a couple vietnam liners. They were dirty and full of cobwebs and bugs. I put it in the sink and washed it with just water. After I was done I blow dried it and it was fine.

Collector of US Army/USMC M-1 helmets and Field-Gear from WWII.

@WWII_GI on Instagram https://instagram.com/wwii_gi/

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

I would avoid the cleaning and refurbishing as well. Dry cleaners are professionals at cleaning and restoring clothing. Collectors are not and liners are not clothing. There are professional conservators: Michael Ovchinikov in CA and Gary Hollingsworth in FL. Most if not nearly all collectors are not qualified to attempt helmet restoration. Some of the results are obvious and some aren't. In fairnes, I suppose once you own an item, it's yours to mess with, but I would never use Woolite, goof-off , H2O or anything on an original liner in my collection. I don't know how many completely un-collector-messed-with helmets there are, but not as many as there were in the 70s. Nothing personal. My preference is untouched helmets, and I don't believe there will be very many of them in the very near future.

NPerry

Agreed

US helmets have gone the ruute of the german ones.

Neil,remember when the german helmet community used vasiline on the leather liners to "preserve" them??Now years later we see the results.I agree its up to the owner but I tend to be a less is more type helmet person.

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

Ron, As you mentioned, less is more. Haven't seen you for 26 years. Perhaps I'll run into you at Kolpek's Department Store (if he's mindong the store and the open sign is on :) Right you are with the German helmet liners. And as s in another thread The A-2 flight jackets that haven't been touched look like they did in 1945. The ones that have had leather conditioner applied look like they do in 2013.

NPerry