Post your OSS groups

ODA021

The helmet guys have already seen this one.

My only contribution. an early Hawley helmet liner to LTC DOW who served with the OSS in China and later went on to the 506th AB among other assignments.

IMG_0183.JPG

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

I haven't posted anything for awhile So I thought I would post these Post-War pins that OSS veterans could purchase. I believe these are all of the variations but if someone knows of another one I would love to see it.

The Rosette is probably the most rare of the bunch followed by the Female's necklace pendant.

post-505-0-14386300-1464550243.jpg

• 7 months later...

There are some awesome groupings here! I have a few items in my collection but none, unfortunately, are named or part of a grouping.

Here are a couple of crossbow "arrows" that I've had for a few years. These two were used most likely with the "Little Joe Pedal" Crossbow, or perhaps the "William Tell" Crossbow. Dr. Brunner, former OSS member and author of various military and OSS books, was gracious enough to not only sign his "OSS Crossbows" book, but to autheticate my arrow.

There were various OSS Crossbow models made - some assembled and some were unassembled (parts only)... with a combined total of maybe less than 100.

They were designed and built by the OSS during WWII in an effort to provide a silent weapon. Although not used to any great extent, they were tested by the Alamo Scouts in New Guinea and various other theaters of operation during WWII.

OSS crossbows and "arrows" are still around in private collections and museums, including the MOD Pattern Room, Leeds, England and the JFK Special Warfare Museum at Ft. Bragg. I had the opportunity to visit the JFK Museum a couple of years ago and was able to take a first hand look at some of the rare items in the collection.

Thanks for looking!

post-4361-0-97938500-1483892453_thumb.jpg

post-4361-0-48066900-1483893233_thumb.jpg

There are some awesome groupings here! I have a few items in my collection but none, unfortunately, are named or part of a grouping.

Here are a couple of crossbow "arrows" that I've had for a few years. These two were used most likely with the "Little Joe Pedal" Crossbow, or perhaps the "William Tell" Crossbow. Dr. Brunner, former OSS member and author of various military and OSS books, was gracious enough to not only sign his "OSS Crossbows" book, but to autheticate my arrow.

There were various OSS Crossbow models made - some assembled and some were unassembled (parts only)... with a combined total of maybe less than 100.

They were designed and built by the OSS during WWII in an effort to provide a silent weapon. Although not used to any great extent, they were tested by the Alamo Scouts in New Guinea and various other theaters of operation during WWII.

OSS crossbows and "arrows" are still around in private collections and museums, including the MOD Pattern Room, Leeds, England and the JFK Special Warfare Museum at Ft. Bragg. I had the opportunity to visit the JFK Museum a couple of years ago and was able to take a first hand look at some of the rare items in the collection.

Thanks for looking!

That's really cool, just one of a number of interesting weapons used by the OSS.

Any significance on why one arrow has a red fletching?

63 Recon.. thanks!

I'm not completely sure about the red markings/paint. I had heard that the arrows (or bolts) were made of aircraft aluminum and some fletchings will show remnants of red letters or markings from the original aircraft. Here's a close up of the other side of one of the "fins. It almost looks like a partial number 2.

The other arrow/bolt... looks like the fins were painted red after assembling onto the shaft. It could have been done when first made or sometime later after the war by an unknown collector. I was tempted to remove this red paint but think I should just leave it as is. The paint looks fairly old and I like the "do no harm" theory.

I acquired both arrows a few years apart and they look identical to each other... same length dimensions, etc...

post-4361-0-08388200-1484059802_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Thought I would throw this in there as the OSS pins I have are already shared in this forum. This one is as well, but it is a closeup of the rosette style pin. Extremely hard to find!

post-157582-0-59829900-1540851898_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...