Post your OSS groups

ODA021

Thank you everyone for the comments and the posts. I will post more in the near future and look forward to others sharing their OSS items and groups.

David

Fantastic collection! Here is my small contribution, USMA coat worn by James T. Hennessy, commander of Operation Cardinal in Manchuria. Here is a link to the thread that discusses his service more in depth: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/3429-james-t-hennessy-oss-china-commanded-operation-cardinal/?hl=hennessy .

post-203-0-18614100-1373030067.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
carbinephalen

Absolutely incredible sir!

I wish I had more to say than just, "WOW!" but that is all I can think of.

How did you come about all of these treasures??

Clean living and diligence. LOL. Actually, I just got lucky and happened across a gentlemen who was willing to sell his collection to a younger generation to appreciate. Some of the items came from some of those great militaria dealers out there who know I collect OSS and put aside items as they came across them. So, more a of team effort than anything. It is alot of fun collecting this and researching the gentlemen the items belonged to. I hope to post more soon as I photograph it.

Thanks for the comments.

David

• 3 weeks later...

Legion Of Honor for COl Walter Giblin, who served as the deputy director Paris and chief of the OSS service branch in the European Theater.

post-505-0-97491300-1375320197.jpg

post-505-0-53770300-1375320203.jpg

post-505-0-58600400-1375320208.jpg

post-505-0-43584800-1375320212.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have been meaing to post here for a while, but have had no time. I obtained this group a while back from the son of Col. FRANCIS PICKENS MILLER and a quick google search will tell you a lot more about this guy then I can in a single thread. It is definitely not the largest or even most valuable group i have in my collecton, but by far the most historic.

Quickly, you'll see his sewn on ribbon bars and numerous other insignia. You will also see a copy of the book he wrote well after the war. In the book he describes that he wanted to visit the Reich Chancellery which was in the Soviet held side of Berlin. Since he had clearance he could go anywhere he wished so he grabbed a soldier to drive him over and this soldier happened to be Jewish. It goes on to tell how they went into Hitlers office and there was a Russian sitting in the office with a sledge hammer between his legs. The Jewish soldier borrowed the hammer from the Russian and began destroying Hitlers desk. Colonel Miller then bent over and put a couple pieces of that desk in his pocket...and here you see those pieces with the personal piece of stationary from Colonel Miller he kept it in along with an Iron Cross 2nd class.

http://www.plan-sussex-1944.net/album/Les%20agents%20Sussex/slides/Pickens_Miller_Francis.html

post-10896-0-76807300-1376423821.jpg

SKYLINE DRIVE

Great stuff ODA21 and z19!!!! I´m truly amazed! Thank you very much for sharing your treasures with us!

• 1 month later...

This is a small grouping I've had for a few years. He was a Greek-American who served with Group 7 in the Balkans, specifically the Peloponnesus in Greece. He apparently was a medic and received the Bronze Star.

From an online site I found;

February 1944. Late in this month Greek Group VII was recalled from Vic for an operation in Peloponnesus, the first of two entries into Greece.

Personnel. Capt. J. A. Rogers, CO; 1st Lt. R. Darr, 2nd in Command, and 6 EM, identified as "1st Patrol."

May 15/16. After several attempts to reach Greece by sea and air, the Patrol flew from Brundisi and parachuted safely near Lala, Peloponnesus. Area was reconnoitered in the following days.

June 2. Ordered to the Gulf of Corinth, Patrol reached Allied Mission camp near Kalavrita.

June 4/5. Recon of Corinth-Patras road and RR along south shore of Gulf.

June 6/7. Patrol provided flank security for Allied Mission officers and Andantes to lay demolitions on bridges and under road bved. Highway bridge was destroyed and RR bridge collapsed when Germans tried to run a locomotive over it. No enemy encountered. Walk back was tiring - 8-hour climb from sea level.

June 21/22. After patrols and security functions in Peloponnesus, Patrol returned to Taranto, Italy, by destroyer, rejoining 2nd and 3rd Patrols.

Capt. J. A. Rogers

Capt. Ronald J. Darr

1st Lt. Donald E. Mort

T/Sgt. Peter Panagakos

T/Sgt. James J. Zevitas

S/Sgt. Steve J. Mastros

Sgt. Steve J. Gineris

T/4 Joseph C. Ciras

** T/4 William S. Hortos **

T/4 Joseph F. Zien

T/5 Arthur J. Agoritsas

T/5 Charles P. Antinopoulos

T/5 Gust J. Babalis

T/5 Aristides J. Boutselis

T/5 Stavros E. Caragian

T/5 James Caroulis

T/5 George Hillias

T/5 Demetrios G. Kamvouris

T/5 Alexander G. Katsias

T/5 Gust Kitakis

T/5 Peter Kurchock

T/5 Charles Liarakos

T/5 Gus Nanos

T/5 Alexander C. Poryzess

T/5 Theodore J. Poulakos

T/5 Konstantine A. Salaris

T/5 Anthony G. Sampatacacus

T/5 Steven F. Segeti, Jr.

T/5 Harry Shiomos

post-9167-0-93083100-1380217138.jpg

SKYLINE DRIVE

I feel like a kid in a candy store every time I visit this thread! That is a great grouping 1canpara!

I feel like a kid in a candy store every time I visit this thread! That is a great grouping 1canpara!

Ditto! This has been a very interesting thread that keeps me coming back.

• 1 month later...

I picked up this short handwritten WWII OSS diary a couple of years ago. Why an OSS agent would be keeping such a thing I'll never know (well, actually I do know, he says in the diary that he expects to write a book about it after the war). Anyway, he starts out explaining how he got into the OSS. He then goes on to complain about some of the others in his group as well as worry about whether he's going to even get into the war before its over. Finally, late in the war, he gets to drop behind lines in Italy as part of Operation Roanoke. Some excerpts follow along with a detailed online explanation of Operation Roanoke.

Rob M.

(Always looking for interesting diaries)

post-109483-0-52343700-1384206396.jpg

post-109483-0-07684300-1384206695.jpg