Post your OSS groups

ODA021

I have thought there is a need for a Special Operations Page on the forum. So, in that theme, here is a sampling of my OSS collection

LTC Estey was a Property Control Officerfor the field Photographic Branch. he was a retread who was awarded a Silver star and meritorious service PH in WW1 while assigned to the 26th Infantry. The PH in WW2 was awarded 6 December 1944 while assigned to the OSS London HQ. This colorful event is recorded in Robert Alcorn's book "No Banner No Bands". In short, he was in wounded in the derriere by glass blown in from a V-2 that landed nearby while engaged with a lady of the evening.

post-505-0-12329000-1372911545.jpg

John Bonsall was the Team Leader for Jed Team Augustus and he and his team were captured and murdered by the Germans.

post-505-0-95668400-1372911768.jpg

post-505-0-84456400-1372911774.jpg

Naylor Foote: Originally in the British Army, served in the OSS in China. During the Korean War, served with UNPIK until captured and spending the rest of the war as a POW.

post-505-0-74757300-1372912230.jpg

SKYLINE DRIVE

Wow, that´s quite an impressive collection you have ODA021! Thank you for sharing it with us, really enjoyed the pictures!!!

I wish. I have been trying to research it through the soldier's medal to no avail. I think the LTC rank is added or the officer was promoted after his time in in China and added the rank. Otherwise it would be easy to verify. There is a number (9187) inked where it says Lot Number but have had no luck with that either. It is a nice uniform. I just wish I could ID it.

ReverendJake

And I thought that I knew jealousy before! This thread contains what are in my opinion some of the most impressive groupings that I have seen on the forum. I am truly humbled.

Here is the only OSS group I have. This is from Colonel Douglas Harper who was just short of amazing. His obituary (posted here: http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/OBITUARY-Douglas-Harper-2807780.php ) says he made more than 1500 jumps! The items I have of his are all Vietnam era. I have his greens, dress blues and his mess dress. There are a handful of insignia with some CBI made pins but no full-size medals.

Unfortunately it is in a box right now because I have no way to properly display it and quickly pulled it out for this post.

Mike

post-3373-0-71880000-1372937782.jpg

BigJohn#3RD

ODA021 et al,

Truly outstanding groupings of a very heroic organization. Thanks for sharing with the forum.

Regards,

John