AN-J-3A Jacket

Steindaddie

Steindaddie

From a Catalina and Liberator pilot. At first glance, I figured to be a nice example of a standard navy flight jacket, then I read the label. I haven't found much on this type jacket, so any info is appreciated.

post-1949-0-74027400-1372905498.jpg

Nice jacket. It is a very late war jacket (probably mid 1945). THe ANj3A is the last wartime variant of the navy leather flight jacket. First you had the M-422 then the M-422A and then in 1943 the AN-6552 and the last variant was the ANj3A.

The AN-J-3a was a dual purpose jacket intended for use by the Navy and the AAF, but really didn't catch on with the AAF. There should be a painted "US" under the collar instead of a painted "USN". All AN intermediate flight jackets had "US" painted under the collar. I also believe they came out in late 43' and were issued all the way up to 1947 when the 55J14 models were introduced. The 55J14 was the first intermediate flight jacket that had "G-1" on the label, so no jackets with "G-1" were issed during WWII. The reason I bring this up is a lot of people say their "G-1" was used during WWII and they are incorrect.

Nice jacket for sure.

Steindaddie

There should be a painted "US" under the collar instead of a painted "USN". All AN intermediate flight jackets had "US" painted under the collar.

That checks: "US" is painted under the collar.

Steindaddie

It is proper that I state this jacket, and it's accompanying items, were donated to the NAS Whidbey Island Naval Heritage Center where I am director. In my excitement to post, I neglected this important fact. Normally that would not be an issue, but little did I realize what a nice jacket we acquired,

I have now received several offers to purchase said jacket. Though we frequently acquire items with the donor's permission to sell (with proceeds benefiting the museum) this is not one of them, at least for the foreseeable time -- I apologize for any misunderstanding this may have caused.

Some pretty good stuff comes through our door, and I do like to share that great news!

~Will

It is proper that I state this jacket, and it's accompanying items, were donated to the NAS Whidbey Island Naval Heritage Center where I am director. In my excitement to post, I neglected this important fact. Normally that would not be an issue, but little did I realize what a nice jacket we acquired,

I have now received several offers to purchase said jacket. Though we frequently acquire items with the donor's permission to sell (with proceeds benefiting the museum) this is not one of them, at least for the foreseeable time -- I apologize for any misunderstanding this may have caused.

Some pretty good stuff comes through our door, and I do like to share that great news!

I've never been to the museum at Whidbey NAS. Is it accessable to the public? Does Harry Ferrier come up there? I know he was living on Whidbey Island last I heard. I used to work at the Museum of Flight and still volunteer there and we had Harry there for a symposium a couple of years ago. He has an amazing story to tell about the Battle of Midway.