WWI Dress Blue collar discs?

MurfreesboroMemphis

MurfreesboroMemphis

I just saw these on Ebay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-USMC-World-War-I-Marine-Corps-EM-Dress-Blue-Collar-Discs-/251296423884?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a826f1fcc

I've never heard of collar discs for the dress blues. Are these a real thing or is this an obvious fake? My immediate reaction was a huge red flag but I figured I would ask. Thanks. -Will

(photo attached in case this post outlasts the auction)post-19889-0-63934000-1372905102.jpg

John Conway

Kind of looks like someone has made a deliberate attempt to polish away or otherwise remove the usual dark finish. Could be a good sign (veteran pride) or a bad sign (masking a fake with abuse to suggest age or wear). Photos of the back might help. The disc for right collar - left side of the photo, seems to have mush softer details. Tough call from what I see in the photo.

Is it me or is the checked background pattern very "blotchy", might just be a crappy scan, but it does not look as uniform as it ought to be.

teufelhunde.ret

These do appear... to be of French origin and have been heavily buffed out, but for what purpose or reason? Do not, care for the excessively long screw-posts. This is not a characteristic for USMC collar discs of the period.

Sometimes it's as simple as finish rubbing off in jewelry boxes over the past 100 years. I have a set of WWI discs and buttons that were intentionally polished to the brass, for seemingly no reason other than the veteran was bored. I'd say it safe to say the set depicted was originally a service set, judging by all the black still in the recesses, etc