USN Back Pack Kit

Steindaddie

Steindaddie

This came as part of a grouping. It's basically complete per the inventory and instruction booklet.

post-1949-0-18362900-1372903368.jpg

Steindaddie

The items have been rummaged about, but this is how I found it. The machete is pretty sweet, and, as an added bonus, the kit still contains morphine!

post-1949-0-99508900-1372903435.jpg

Steindaddie

Here's part of the grouping from this naval aviator. The handguns are a S&W Victory model, and a Beretta M1934 dated 1938. (It was a war prize) I will post the helmet and jacket in their respective forums.

post-1949-0-62009900-1372903770.jpg

... as an added bonus, the kit still contains morphine!

Hopefully the medicine has all dried up, otherwise it's a felony. I wouldn't advertise that part.....

Steindaddie

Hopefully the medicine has all dried up, otherwise it's a felony. I wouldn't advertise that part.....

Put on my surgical gloves and opened the package: Looks like most of the stuff oozed out over the past 70 years.-- what little is left in the syrettes is petrified.

Thanks for the tip.

that's cool it came with a grouping!.....can you post a pic of the first/second page of the instruction book and if convenient a pic of the inside with straps,contents removed? there are variations to these manufacturer and contract years.

These are one of my favorite kits and probably the rarest thing there is the morphine box. When these were released to the War Assets Administration for surplus that box was removed then a tag was attached to kit noting "narcotics have been removed". Then over the decades they get picked through making the pocket knife the most popular pilfered item. Some of the original foil lined wrappers are there which is good, I see a couple for the first aid items, tube of Kant Rust, safety pins/tape, looks like at very bottom pocket knife wrapper or is that the sharpening stone and wrapper for sun burn cream.

From the picture there are things that are not suppose to be there and are missing a few items. The complete first aid kit should include six boxes. If you lay out the components I can tell you exactly what's right and what's wrong. From manufacture to today you never know what was done to it in its life.

post-56-0-44324800-1372944065.jpg

Steindaddie

....can you post a pic of the first/second page of the instruction book and if convenient a pic of the inside with straps,contents removed? there are variations to these manufacturer and contract years.

Here you go - I didn't get a chance to photograph the interior - will do tomorrow.

post-1949-0-91922300-1373072687.jpg

post-1949-0-19986000-1373072748.jpg

Steindaddie

Here's what came with the kit. There are a few more items yet to come though - the Verys Projector being one. I know the kit came with a few "add ons" too.

post-1949-0-27167000-1373171606.jpg

Steindaddie

The kit minus the contents. The three small straps on the right are not attached to anything.

post-1949-0-56732400-1373171900.jpg

One on the great things is that you have 4 of 6 first aid items and the harder to find ones at that! the other two are 4" compress bandages which are very common. There are many acceptable variations because of manufacture, here is a couple examples on what to look for.
post-56-0-03915000-1373214496.jpg

The kit minus the contents. The three small straps on the right are not attached to anything.

This is what your kit would look like when distributed. The three small straps you show are extension straps so the drinking water kits can be used as they are slightly larger than the water cans. These desalting kits have a kraft envelope attached with these extension straps enclosed

post-56-0-76224800-1373214834.jpg

The instruction book you have has a drawing of the kit with labeled components which better represents another kit. The principle difference is if you note on booklet the order is Line, Compass/Matchbox, Ration, Knife. The kit you have the Line was moved to in between the fishing kit and Kant Rust. This is what peaked my interest the most about your post and is why I asked for the pictures. The booklet for the this model of M-592 is still one of the last mysteries, I have yet to see one showing this exact layout with Line in different position.

It looks like you have two sharpening stones?

Obviously as you stated a few things were added at some time like the gas apron, 2-fuel ration heaters, the wood handle fish net is not correct and the spool of trip wire.

Looks like you have the wrappers for 2 units-first aid, safety pins/tape/salt, Kant Rust and sun burn cream.

Tasty group & an even tastier Back Pad.

Am i jealous?? Yes i am, it also reminds me to chase down the few items missing from mine!!