Any Suggestions or Advice for Beret Storage?

kriegsmodell

kriegsmodell

Any advice or suggestions on how to properly store military berets? At this point not trying to display, just curious on how to store these items in order to preserve their integrity and shape. Many thanks in advance ......

• 1 month later...

For myself, I store mine in a plastic tote to keep any clothing mothes away from the wool. I also store mine flat on top of each other and the tote is stored in a climate controlled room. I have heard of some collectors putting muslin type fabric between the berets as well. So far, I have had no issues (prayers said).

Modern US Army berets are still wool, with all the preservation problems that go along with that. If it's been worn as part of a daily uniform there should be a natural 'fold pattern' from when the Soldier kept it in his/her pocket. I typically keep them folded in this pattern, whatever it is.

Modern US Army berets are still wool, with all the preservation problems that go along with that. If it's been worn as part of a daily uniform there should be a natural 'fold pattern' from when the Soldier kept it in his/her pocket. I typically keep them folded in this pattern, whatever it is.

If the berets are worn and shaped already, Squirrely's advice is correct.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been storing berets for over twenty years and the one thing to watch out for are the leather sweat bands. Many of these still contain "oils" from the wearer. For this reason, I separate my berets with a layer of packing paper or muslin (or any natural, undyed or unbleached cotton material). After a short while in storage you will see the paper soak up the oils and may want to replace them every so many years.

Also, the oils react with the DUIs and rank on the flashes and the metal will corrode. So, when possible, I separate the badge from beret and keep it wrapped and labeled with the beret.

Tom