Disrespectful or is this okay?

ryksem

Hey guys, I've been looking online and found an M65 Vintage VN era Field Jacket, it is a reproduction and at a fair price so I might buy it. I then began thinking, maybe putting a 1st I.D. patch on the sleeve like how my grandpa's was. I don't know if this is disrespectful or wrong, but I am wondering if you guys think it is or not. Thanks.

As long as you don't ttry to make people believe it is YOUR patch, I think it's okay.

Plenty of reenactors/living historians, etc. wear uniforms as a sign of respect and admiration, but plenty of people wear uniforms or partial uniforms because they think it's cool, or want others to think they earned it when they didn't (stolen valor).

Just don't become one of the posers

I see no problem with that at all, and most wont either, and when asked about it it will be even cooler to explain that its to honor your grandfathers service with the 1st ID in Vietnam because then you get to share his story with others more and more.

What unit in the 1st ID was your grandfather with and when was he in Vietnam? My father was with the 1st ID during his first tour in 65-66

The very fact that you are asking this question would indicate that you are one of the guys who can do such a thing as a tribute to your relative, and have the gesture received in the spirit in which it was intended.

Veterans are just like any other group of people and they come with all different attitudes and opinions. That being said, I haven't ever run into anyone who objected to unit patches being worn. Insignia of rank, qualification badges, and medals, though - normally seen as very uncool, unless you actually earned them yourself.

it would not bother me personally, and it may help you to avoid bothering others if you don't put on name tapes and army tapes, unless of course you are a re-enactor, where it would be needed.

I see no problem with that at all, and most wont either, and when asked about it it will be even cooler to explain that its to honor your grandfathers service with the 1st ID in Vietnam because then you get to share his story with others more and more.

What unit in the 1st ID was your grandfather with and when was he in Vietnam? My father was with the 1st ID during his first tour in 65-66

My grandpa was with Co. A 1/28th Infantry 1st I.D. He was in Vietnam during 68-69

I'm a VN Army vet and it wouldn't bother me at all for you to wear the jacket and the patch. I'd recommend you just don't junk it up with a any ribbons, medals, qualification badges or something else not authorized. To me, adding unauthorized medals, qualification badges, etc. is when the line from respect to disrespect is crossed. Wearing the patch may give you an opportunity to help educate someone about your Army knowledge and brag about your grandpa a bit.

You might want to also purchase some item such as a t shirt or ball cap with a First ID emblem which is made for anyone to wear. Some items are at this vendor from which I've bought several items, Medals of America http://www.medalsofamerica.com/

Keep studying and keep being proud of your grandfather.

Ken

I'm a VN Army vet and it wouldn't bother me at all for you to wear the jacket and the patch. I'd recommend you just don't junk it up with a any ribbons, medals, qualification badges or something else not authorized. To me, adding unauthorized medals, qualification badges, etc. is when the line from respect to disrespect is crossed. Wearing the patch may give you an opportunity to help educate someone about your Army knowledge and brag about your grandpa a bit.

You might want to also purchase some item such as a t shirt or ball cap with a First ID emblem which is made for anyone to wear. Some items are at this vendor from which I've bought several items, Medals of America http://www.medalsofamerica.com/

Keep studying and keep being proud of your grandfather.

Ken

I have one more question, would you consider the U.S. Army chest tape to far? Just wondering because I seen that on his shirts also. Thanks again.

Most M65 field jackets come with a US Army tape to begin with, so I don't think most people will notice.

You could probably even get away with one of your grandfather's name tapes.

But take the advice given above. I would stop short of adding rank.

If anyone challenges you on it, just say "I made it up to remind me of my grandfather, the Vietnam vet." I doubt anyone will bother you.

Also, given your differences in age, I would guess most people would assume you were not trying to pass yourself off as a Vietnam vet.

When I dress for WWII reenactments, my impression is of my Grandfather, who served with the 20th armored div. I never had a bad experiance and infact have found it helps to tell the story having a personal connection to the impression. I'd say go for it and enjoy the jacket.

m1ashooter

God Said.

Honor thy father and thy mother.

I think you should rest easy as you honor your Grandfather in this manner. I wear a repo WW2 Marine Utility Cover to honor my father and uncles and I could care less if someone take offense.

Go ahead. I wear a reproduction of my uncle's WWII A2 jacket and tell people when asked that it is honor of my uncle and the 33 missions he flew over Europe.

Mainemilitaria

As a 1st Division/1st M.P. Company Nov. 68/Dec. 69 RVN vet. (Di An, Lai Khe) I chewed some of the same dirt as your uncle..... wear the jacket (name & US Army tapes o.k.) with "Big Red One" patch....(you might even consider a "Pocket Patch" for the 28th Inf. Regt. which would really "tell the story")....but wear it with pride. I'd have no problem- just the opposite, would be like when someone "Thanks me for my service"....

I agree no other pins, ribbons, etc. (unless you're setting up a "anti-war" "Hippy" jacket)....

Tell you're Uncle, if he's still with us...a "brother" said "welcome home & God bless!"....from me!

John G.

Mainemilitaria

ryksem

RE: Your question about the US Army tape.

I think the folks above gave you great advice! Nothing I could add to that.

Ken

I was also in the 1st ID from 1972-75 here in Germany, my grandson just had his 1st birthday, but I'd be very proud knowing he's wearing my old M65, he does after all have the same last name as me.

for a person your age, I think it would be OK

but for an older person old enough to be a vet that served with that unit shouldnt wear stuff like that, because it gives the impression your trying to show other people your a vet

a high school or college kid could wear it without looking like a poser , but as middle aged or older person wouldnt look right wearing a jacket with a bunch of unit insignia

when I see a young kid wearing camo or field jacket with a patch it looks fashionable / trendy

SergeantMajorGray

I wore one of my grandfathers dress uniforms at my senior project speech in honor of my grandfather a WW2 vet. My project topic was How Warfare changed in WW2. I didn't have the ribbons/medals on it but it did have the SGM rank and 3 overseas bars and 24 years of service strips on it. And one of the kids in my class who is in JROTC told me that it was a disgrace to the uniform that I was wearing it. I quickly and told him off and my friends backed me up the kid in my opinion was a disgrace to his uniform since he does drugs already has a kid and failed most of his classes sorry for the rant. Anyway my teacher and the judges loved that I wore his uniform especially because I look like him and had pictures of him wearing it.

Thanks for all the input guys! Would you recommend sewing the patches on or using patch glue? I wanna do sewing but I don't know how, and I saw a video with someone using a special glue to put em on.

SergeantMajorGray

Thanks for all the input guys! Would you recommend sewing the patches on or using patch glue? I wanna do sewing but I don't know how, and I saw a video with someone using a special glue to put em on.

If you want it to last you should sew it on. You could take it somewhere and they could do it or ask a family member.