Possible WWI Patch - Unknown

joshghutch

joshghutch

Recently came into some family military items, this patch was with them and I'm at a loss to what it is. I've done image searches and poked through various posts/forums here and elsewhere and I'm clueless as to what it is. My dad, who had it from my great grandfather doesn't even have a clue. I was hoping someone here may be able to help. I've been told his from WWI but it's entirely possible it's something totally different and unrelated.

It measures about 3" from point to point in the black areas on both X and Y planes.

post-124039-0-27008700-1372850964.jpg

post-124039-0-81975500-1372850970.jpg

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

lamarhooten

Would this possibly be 14th AVIATION Engineers? I have seen it id'd as such and have mine as just the 14th with an astrex.

attachicon.gifmf1.jpg

Kurt is correct.

And, it is not a gun sight. Why on earth would it be that for an Army Engineer (Railway) regiment? I believe it is the cross section of a rail for trains or maybe a stylized front view of a steam locomotive.

WorldWarPatches

<(*_*)> I just posted what's in my Insignia of the AEF book. I'm pretty sure the engineer's had gun's to defend themselves.

<(*_*)> I just posted what's in my Insignia of the AEF book. I'm pretty sure the engineer's had gun's to defend themselves.

Your big type is annoying and insulting. I did not impugn your intelligence. You asked for information and opinions. I commented on the "14th Engineers (Standard Guage Railway Operation Regiment)". That is how the unit shows up in Army sources- the 1988 reprint of the 1949 Army publication Order of Battle of the United States Land Forces in the World War, Zone of the Interior: Directory of Troops, Volume 3, Part 3. The question in my comment was rhetorical The symbolism of the SSI is about the main function of the unit, not what weapons it may or may not possess. Dalessandro and Knapp describe the device as a "winged railway wheel." Ford says the SSI was not approved by the GHQ, AEF. But, it was made and worn by the unit. It shows up in images of unit members. If you don't want comments, don't ask.

joshghutch

That totally makes sense after hearing all of that. I did find some Brotherhood of Locomotive Firemen and Enginemen stuff mixed randomly within. The wings had me thrown off though as I was drifting towards something air related.

Thanks a lot!

It is the 14th Eng, which was a light Railway unit (smaller gauge RR) and got credited for several bars on their Victory Metal. The 15th a standard gauge Eng. RR outfit also used this insignia with the number 15 added above the winged device. This patch in a couple of variations but the one you have is most commonly encountered version, still a nice one to own..

WorldWar patches thanks for quoting our book on the 14th and it is described in various period printed material as a winged gunsite, and as a retired engineer we did lug weapons around with us, now with that said I have no idea why these men choose this for the center of their insignia. The diamond shape patch in the two colors was some type of signal or sign used on the narrow gauge RR over there. I thought I was the only guy who even remembered we published that book back in 87, let alone still look at at every once and a while. We've learned so much since back then about the insignia of this period...