Cavalry? Strange Leather Hatchet Cover

m1a2u2

Anyone know what this? Wonder if it's a cavalry hatchet cover but I have never seen one so I can't be sure.

I know the G&K stands for Graton and Knight and the E.J.B. is the inspector stamp but the 1918 date is strange.

Any help would be appreciated.

ddz0.jpg

gnvi.jpg

0q1f.jpg

8ghj.jpg

That's the M1912 Hatchet Cover.The long strap and ring was so it could be lashed to something like a wagon,

That's the M1912 Hatchet Cover.The long strap and ring was so it could be lashed to something like a wagon,

Thanks, do you have a source for that? The cover in the M1912 field manual is hard to make out. Is this a rare item?

Spathologist

Ordnance Memorandum 1715 shows the Cavalry Equipments, Model of 1912. It shows a hatchet cover, but that one ain't it. So if it is a Model 1912, it definitely isn't Cavalry.

Ordnance Memorandum 1715 shows the Cavalry Equipments, Model of 1912. It shows a hatchet cover, but that one ain't it. So if it is a Model 1912, it definitely isn't Cavalry.

I believe it has more to do with wagon equipment tool sets than Cavalry.

Anybody got a Sledge Carrier Model of 1912 shown in the book on Big Al's link?I note it lists the broad hatchet under Pioneer Tools and that they were commercially purchased items.