US Navy Cruise Jackets

TreasureHunter

TreasureHunter

Couple of cruise jackets from my career. First was USS Peterson DD969, Med deployment in 94-95, hit alot of ports pre 911. Other is USS Kennedy deployment, I caught half the deployment, fun flying to the ship and catching a wire, welcome to the Persian Gulf!

USS Peterson D969 was sunk for training by torpedo's I believe. Got some pics of that, sad day.

Bill

post-123772-0-33421900-1372813177.jpg post-123772-0-16252000-1372813205.jpg

gooseandspoons

How did the sailors wear these? I've been interested in some of the navy non-regulation type uniforms.

TreasureHunter

Yeah cruise jackets are only worn for ashore, not in uniform. Each deployment usually has a cruise jacket, cruise book, maybe squadron or detachment patches. And dont forget the booty from each port. They usually fly on a rep from the Navy exchange in Naples, take orders, then its shipped to you later. Thats why the zippers are backwards, made in Italy. The patches are actually for different missions and battle groups, not just decorations. Thanks for you looking.

Yeah cruise jackets are only worn for ashore, not in uniform. Each deployment usually has a cruise jacket, cruise book, maybe squadron or detachment patches. And dont forget the booty from each port. They usually fly on a rep from the Navy exchange in Naples, take orders, then its shipped to you later. Thats why the zippers are backwards, made in Italy. The patches are actually for different missions and battle groups, not just decorations. Thanks for you looking.

It was the same system more or less in the Pacific. You would get them made in Subic,Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, pretty much every where. They have a standard pattern, you basically fill in the blanks with ports, names, flags, pick from standard designs of eagles, dragons EGAs for the marine types. There are usually standard ships patches, then the specific designed cruise patch, then anything else that was made up for that cruise to comemorate some "special" event. The patches could also be gotten seperately and we would put them on our dungaree working jackets. Against regs, but we did it any way and no one ever said anything. It was a morale thing, so why flog the crew if they are feeling good about what they are doing?