Most purple hearts awarded to a single individual

cutiger83

I was looking at something on Wikipedia and saw the following information. I did a search on here but don't see anything regardling Albert Ireland. Forgive me if this has already been mentioned on the forum. I thought some of you might find this interesting.

The most Purple Hearts awarded to a single individual is nine. Former Marine Sgt. Albert L. Ireland holds that distinction, being awarded five Purple Heart Medals in World War II and four more in the Korean War.

Seven soldiers, including two Medal of Honor recipients, were awarded eight Purple Hearts:

Richard J. Buck: Four awards, Korean War / Four awards Vietnam War

Robert T. Frederick: Eight awards World War II

David H. Hackworth: Three awards, Korean War / Five awards in the Vietnam War

Joe Hooper: Eight awards, Vietnam War

Robert L. Howard: Eight awards, Vietnam War

William L. Russell: Eight awards, World War II

William Waugh: Eight awards, Vietnam War

Cobrahistorian

If I'm not mistaken, General Frederick had eight OLCs on his PH, so nine awards total.

Hi Kat,

Thank you for posting this list, it's always interesting to see information like this, and at the same time a nice way to honor these veterans.

Best wishes to you!

Joe

If I'm not mistaken, General Frederick had eight OLCs on his PH, so nine awards total.

Jon,

I don't know for sure but I just did a quick google search. Other websites besides Wikipedia show him as being awarded eight purple hearts not nine. As I said, I don't know for sure so maybe someone else can chime in.

....Kat

Hi Kat,

Thank you for posting this list, it's always interesting to see information like this, and at the same time a nice way to honor these veterans.

Best wishes to you!

Joe

Joe,

Thanks so much for chiming in. I thought it was interesting too.

...Kat

Here's my man......Michael Patrick McManus. He must have had twelve awards.....maybe more!! :lol:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

They were all earned on covert missions in Tahiti...

Buckshot329

I know the son of a WW2-Korea vet who has ten Purple Hearts. I posted this a while back because I thought it strange he can't be found online but did not get any replies. I have a page about him on my website http://normandytothebulge.be/83rd_WWhite.html

He had been a Marine for 11 years and enlisted in the Army when the war started. He got his first 6 Purple Hearts after a mere 4(!) days of fighting in the Normandy hedgerows.

He was also known as the Mad Major but I don't know why! :D

Here's my man......Michael Patrick McManus. He must have had twelve awards.....maybe more!! :lol:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

He must be a 6 star General Admiral in the Fighter Pilot unit of the Airborne Submarine service.

ludwigh1980

If I recall when I was a hardcore WW1 Collector, I remember a photograph (I think on ebay) of the most heavily wounded WW1 U.S. Soldier (that was still alive to take his picture after the war) He had wound stripes from the cuff almost to his shoulder, and I believe more then 9. Since those were before the re-introduction of the Purple heart, he might not technically qualify. The trauma that he endured was quit evident and I wonder if he lived until 1930. He had lost a leg and an arm. He defiantly looked like he earned every wound stripe and its a marvel he survived with those kind of wounds and with the medicine of the day.

Terry

pathfinder505

Here is a guy with 9 purple hearts.

James Jones, a well known American author, was a member of the 27th Infantry. His service in the Regiment in Hawaii and World War II provided the background for his highly acclaimed novels, "From Here To Eternity", "The Thin Red Line", (both of which later became movies) and "Whistle".

A famous Wolfhound of the time was Lieutenant John Cloninger, better known as "Mr. Wolfhound". In 1940, at the age of 16, he told a recruiting sergeant, "I'll join the Army if you'll send me to the Wolfhounds." He ended World War II a sergeant, with a Silver Star and five Purple Hearts. In the Regiment's initial fighting in the Korean War, he earned a second Silver Star and a battlefield commission. While directing fires in support of Captain Lewis Millett's bayonet assault, Lieutenant Cloninger received his seventh Purple Heart. Before the end of his service with the Regiment in Korea, he would earn a eighth and ninth Purple Heart. While being evacuated for the last time, his parting words to his fellow Wolfhounds were, "I'll be back."

With regard to the most wounded veteran of WW1, my candidate is Pvt. John B. White, G/28th Inf, 1st Div., AEF. He was wounded five times in May, July, August, October, & November 1918. It can be argued whether he was extremely lucky to have survived 5 wounds, or extemely unlucky to have been hit 5 times. An early 1920s issue of the American Legion Magazine had an article about Pvt.White. It seems he had been recently killed in an automobile accident. So he was an unlucky person after all, and never got to apply for his Purple Heart with four Oakleaf Clusters.

Hackworth20Shadowbox_zps47f9412f.jpg

That display is incorrect. Hackworth never served in the military but the Merchant Marine during WWII, and at the very end of it only in the Pacific. He was never awared the Asiatic Pacific Campaign Medal or the European Campaign Medal. He was awared the Merchant Marine Pacific Zone and Merchant Marine Victory Medals though.

Jack's Son

That display is incorrect. Hackworth never served in the military but the Merchant Marine during WWII, and at the very end of it only in the Pacific. He was never awared the Asiatic Pacific Campaign Medal or the European Campaign Medal. He was awared the Merchant Marine Pacific Zone and Merchant Marine Victory Medals though.

This is an interesting twist.....considering his portrait. (?)

Buckshot329

I have an article somewhere stating 'Mad' Major White had the most Purple Hearts (10 as I posted before) but was tied not too long before this article was written. I'll dig it up and post it here

• 3 weeks later...

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I think I heard that this guy is a fake. It was all stolen valor. Saw it on one of their "wanted" pages. Don't know if it's true though...

Actually yes he was. Just confirmed.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

P.S. Look at the medals! (2 DSC and NO National Defense Service!) That and the one around his neck makes him a commander for the British kingdom.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 9 years later...
Ironheart
On 7/3/2013 at 6:37 PM, Buckshot329 said:

I have an article somewhere stating 'Mad' Major White had the most Purple Hearts (10 as I posted before) but was tied not too long before this article was written. I'll dig it up and post it here

You are correct, I did some research and it is true Mad Major White did indeed earn 10 PH's