Band of Brothers type Vietnam mini series

ReverendJake

ReverendJake

If Speilberg were to produce another Band of Brothers or The Pacific type of mini series, what book do you think it should be based on?

History Man

WWI:

Marines

Aviators (US, British, German)

Early Tank Units

Ambulance Corps/Red Cross

Some more WWII versions:

PTO Fighter/Bomber Units/Patrol (carrier based ones would be interesting)

PTO Transport Pilots

ETO Bomber/Fighter Units

The Underground (Dutch, French, etc)

PTO Corpsman Units

WAC/Nurse Units in different operation zones

USMC Raider Units

Vietnam:

Since Spielberg and Hanks seem to go for the more well known units, they would probably do:

Brown Water Navy

LRRP

USMC Force Recon/Recon

ARVN

Philip

I believe it's already in the works. The series will be based on Donald Miller's "Master of the Air", telling the story of the Eighth Air Force. Sounds like it's gonna be another winner!!

SergeantMajorGray

I believe it's already in the works. The series will be based on Donald Miller's "Master of the Air", telling the story of the Eighth Air Force. Sounds like it's gonna be another winner!!

I was watching a documentary last night and it said the Eighth Air Force lost more men on daylight bombing raids than the Marines did in the entire war. Wow

I know that most of you will gloss over this comment, but we really do need a GOOD Civil War miniseries. "Gettysburg" was the last epic that was made, and that is becoming somewhat outdated. If it was done in the "Band of Brother's" style, I think it would be amazing. HBO was going to produce "1776" as a series following the campaigns of George Washington, which was intended to be the sequel to HBO's "John Adams". They were developing a script, and then it just vanished. They stopped talking about it, which is a mystery to me because "John Adams" was an HBO hit.

My idea would be to chronicle a "band of brothers" in one of the regiments of the Irish Brigade or Iron Brigade. It would be bloody, action packed, and attention grabbing.

I could be wrong but I believe the original poster was talking about a movie series about Vietnam not these other wars.

As far as a series about Vietnam, in my opinion it would be hard to make a "band of brothers" type movie about Vietnam.

That war was so different than any others.

If I had to pick a book about Vietnam for making a series, I would say "Chickenhawk". Since helicopters were used so

widely in Vietnam, it might work out for a series.

...Kat

My idea would be to chronicle a "band of brothers" in one of the regiments of the Irish Brigade or Iron Brigade. It would be bloody, action packed, and attention grabbing.

My family tree boasts a pair of brothers who served together in the Iron Brigade (one of whom lost his right arm in the charge on the railroad cut 150 years ago yesterday). I would love to see an Iron Brigade series.

WWI needs some representation too. The 4th Marine Brigade seems tailor-made for a BoB-style series.

If Vietnam- pick a unit that hasn't been played out much by Hollywood....or follow a guy through multiple tours. Maybe base it on Hackworth's book?

The Son-Tay Raid would also be thrilling to see.

They need to do Korea- the most overlooked war in the history of film. Now with CGI you could show 2,000 North Korean try to over run a Company position at night.

Either Chosin resevoir or the Pusan perimeter fighting of 1950.

I could see a show about the underground doing very well as a series on AMC, etc.

My family tree boasts a pair of brothers who served together in the Iron Brigade (one of whom lost his right arm in the charge on the railroad cut 150 years ago yesterday). I would love to see an Iron Brigade series.

WWI needs some representation too. The 4th Marine Brigade seems tailor-made for a BoB-style series.

Two family members of the infamous "Black Hats"! So they made the charge with Rufus Dawes and the 6th Wisconsin - you can't get more historic than that!

I would say maybe a mini series that follows a group of Marines before, during and after the siege at Khe Sanh.

Something following a helicopter company in VN would be neat as well.

I could be wrong but I believe the original poster was talking about a movie series about Vietnam not these other wars.

Sorry...I was asleep at the wheel! Disregard my comment on the 8th Air Force mini series!!

I can't comment on a Vietnam mini series, as that is outside my collecting/hobby area...

Khe Sanh or Hue battles for the Marines would be awesome.

Brownwater Navy for the Navy.

The Army has been cover a lot, but some SF would be nice.

AF I don't know

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone agree that Speilberg, et.al, are pussing these nimi series too far? How much history, or how much profit? :huh:

Does anyone agree that Speilberg, et.al, are pussing these nimi series too far? How much history, or how much profit? :huh:

From my understanding both he and hanks are both militaria collectors. I think they marry their two loves that just happens to make money.

ReverendJake

From my understanding both he and hanks are both militaria collectors. I think they marry their two loves that just happens to make money.

I wonder if either of them are on the forum.

A "Tour of Duty" format would be very good in combination with Wouk's style of storytelling. Instead of a bunch of guys coming together in one unit have some hometown buddies depicted in various units such as infantry, artillery, Navy, etc. No Spec Oops, just some plain ole guys gone to war. Maybe even have one deferred or a pacifist. Even a draft dodger would create great interest.

I wonder if either of them are on the forum.

Mr. Speilberg and Mr. Hanks,

If either of you are on the forum you should absolutely not do a movie about Marine Helicopters and how they were in from before the big us troop build up during operation Shufly, the "super gaggle" used during the siege at Khe sanh, through the main fighting during the war, the sweeping of Haiphong Harbor and the evacuation of Saigon.

I state this for selfish reasons (hard to find items will get even harder).

If however you do decide to pursue this avenue, We shall talk. I have met and spoken with hundreds of Vietnam era helicopter pilots, crew members, maintainers, etc. You will not only want my advice, but you will need it as well.

Semper Fi

John "Psycho" Ruffini

USMC

Helicopter Pilot Extraordinaire..........Just ask me I will tell you

P.S. Retiring in less than a year so feel free to get in touch with me........ soon. I am not desperate for a job. Actually the opposite is true and I am having some fairly attractive offers thrown at me right now. I am loyal and once I commit to something I will see it through, so before I take another job, we need to talk.

What about a series that is more akin to The Pacific? Instead of just one story like Band of Brothers, it could tell several as Vietnam is more suited to this due to deployment length, the draft, etc... it could start out with the French in Indochina and move to the Marine arrival and then on through the Central Highlands, Khe Sanh, Tet. Hue, fall of Saigon etc... Something that encompasses a bit of aviation, sog, infantry/marine action, and maybe even the riverine force. Scott.

• 2 months later...

they should do a series about the US 5th Special Forces advisors , starting in the early years in the late 1950's before the US officially entered the war in 1965 and show them working with and training the Montanyards & South Vietnamese and also the Secret war in Laos with the CIA training the Hmong, since they dont usually show this in American movies.

they should do a series about the US 5th Special Forces advisors , starting in the early years in the late 1950's before the US officially entered the war in 1965 and show them working with and training the Montanyards & South Vietnamese and also the Secret war in Laos with the CIA training the Hmong, since they dont usually show this in American movies.

Late '50s??? The 5th Special Forces Group didn't exist until September of 1961.

• 4 weeks later...

I like the idea of this if expanded a bit. Those early years with the advisers are unheralded, but later in the war, the role of the SF moved more to training. That is not meant to remotely diminish many of their achievements. My intent is to bring to light many of the missions that our attached press was not privy to. The rangers, the LRRP's, Air America, AID and so many others. We pretty much know the general role of conventional forces during Vietnam. The cook on perimeter duty was never covered as charlie penetrated the wire.

I have read so many of the books on the war and lived two years of it myself. I am currently reading a book by a wingman and while it is exciting and had achieved honors from senior staffers, so much is either incorrectly recalled or downright wrong.