"Mystery" overseas cap. Any ideas?

Sabrejet

I have a large collection of US garrison caps numbering 70+ and growing. My aim is to collect all the principal variants, particularly the various Branch of Service colours. I'm doing pretty well but there are still a few elusive ones out there!

However....my query concerns the one pictured below. It's a 100% USGI overseas cap...well marked with laundry numbers and CS tag etc. But, as you can see, it has pink braid! Now, I've consulted every reference I know and pink is not listed in any of them...but it plainly exists! It's not faded red...it is actually solid pink. Any ideas as to its significance (and please...avoid the obvious "pink" jokes! :D )

post-8022-0-70948100-1372745769.jpg

post-8022-0-89004600-1372745779.jpg

Interesting. I've dug around the Internet for a bit to see if I could find anything. The only thing I came up with that was pink are the German Armored troops. But it would accessorize well with the pink explosion proof flashlight ;-)

Yes...I know the Panzerwaffe used pink piping too. "Return of the Pink Panzer"? :D

AAF_Collection

Hi Ian, As the cap has a laundry number in it, it was obviously worn but I wonder if it's either a manufacturing defect, or a reaction due to dry cleaning which has caused red artillery piping to uniformly change colour?.

Just a thought.

Matt.

Anyone? It's definitely solid pink and not faded red. In the hand this is quite apparent.

on one hand, dye lots can be screwed up and it is possible for a color to pretty uniformly fade if it is not properly done. This happens chemically, and can take place even out of light. This is what I suspect. I have never, ever seen pink as even a proposed branch color. Although this style of piping did used to be available on the civilian marketplace in sewing stores.

However, I have seen the combat service tag's removed from crappy items of surplus and attached to items to 'make them seem cooler.' In some case to outright fakes tried to pass with this "proof."

My question is that this hat is in such good shape (aside from the color) that I would have to wonder why it would need the tag. (although I will say I have never been able to find the exact regs on when this tag was used, but every single legit one I have ever seen was from a state side area)

Something just seems odd to me to about this item.

on one hand, dye lots can be screwed up and it is possible for a color to pretty uniformly fade if it is not properly done. This happens chemically, and can take place even out of light. This is what I suspect. I have never, ever seen pink as even a proposed branch color. Although this style of piping did used to be available on the civilian marketplace in sewing stores.

However, I have seen the combat service tag's removed from crappy items of surplus and attached to items to 'make them seem cooler.' In some case to outright fakes tried to pass with this "proof."

My question is that this hat is in such good shape (aside from the color) that I would have to wonder why it would need the tag. (although I will say I have never been able to find the exact regs on when this tag was used, but every single legit one I have ever seen was from a state side area)

Something just seems odd to me to about this item.

It's been used by more than one individual as there are multiple laundry numbers inside it. Also, more than one is known to exist.

I,m wondering what's up with that Jersey City and the Address, 125 West End Avenue stamp, a most unaffilated military address. 125 West End Avenue is on the Upper West side of Manhattan at W 66 th Street, did a Army Quartermaster Corps clothing facility occupy 125 West End Avenue during WWII? It certainly could have, it's a industrial Building, that now houses studios for ABC.

http://www.propertyshark.com/mason/Property/18312/125-W-End-Ave-New-York-NY-10023/

Jack's Son

Yes...I know the Panzerwaffe used pink piping too. "Return of the Pink Panzer"? :D

HEY....I thought you said "NO pink jokes" ? :(

Kevin...your Monty Python credentials are showing through again! :D Or, to be more precise in this instance, Eric Idle's "Rutland Weekend Television" which was screened on BBCtv back in the late 70s and which spawned the classic Beatles pastiche, "The Rutles"! :lol:

With regard to the unidentified cap, I guess I'll have to consign it to the "origins unknown" drawer then? :o

Kevin...your Monty Python credentials are showing through again! :D Or, to be more precise in this instance, Eric Idle's "Rutland Weekend Television" which was screened on BBCtv back in the late 70s and which spawned the classic Beatles pastiche, "The Rutles"! :lol:

Some kind of wild huh?

The Prefab Four :lol:

post-34986-0-64286900-1372833299.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rutles

With all the Gay news in the states you would post a cap with pink brade on it. :)

See...I knew you guys couldn't resist the colour connections!! :D