legit or fake? 1920s rare USMC chevrons

Mtlh2010

Never dealt with this seller before... Has a half-dozen auctions on ebay for pretty rare USMC chevrons...... I've been collecting USMC chevrons for about 15 years.... These just don't sit well with me.... I don't like how the chevrons are applied to the scarlet backing. I've compared to my WW1 1stSgt chevrons that I know are real and the stitching is wayyyyyy off. these are reminiscent of seller "AlpineMil" to me

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WWI-PRE-WWII-USMC-MARINE-CORPS-DRUM-MAJOR-SGT-SERGEANT-CHEVRONS-/121136528194?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c344cbb42

what are your opinions?

post-56663-0-09955800-1372728633.jpg

I do not like them. All the old Marine rates that I own (WWI through the 30's) are made very well, this was a time when the Marine Corps was relatively small and their standards for such items was pretty good. It was not until WWII when the Marine Corps exploded in size that their standards dipped for a while, due to the sheer volume of chevrons needed. Also, all the genuine chevrons that I own have the cross stitching and not the straight Army stitching. Even though the WWI USMC regs show the chevrons with straight stitching, I think it was done for simplicity reasons, since they are line drawings. Anyway, I do not profess to be the expert, so I will gladly listen to any other thoughts. I will just say that I would not spend my money on these chevrons. I have seen a lot of what I feel are reproduction chevrons on Ebay lately and I just assumed that it is because of the dollar amounts that they are now commanding. Semper Fi! - Jeff

I do not like them. All the old Marine rates that I own (WWI through the 30's) are made very well, this was a time when the Marine Corps was relatively small and their standards for such items was pretty good. It was not until WWII when the Marine Corps exploded in size that their standards dipped for a while, due to the sheer volume of chevrons needed. Also, all the genuine chevrons that I own have the cross stitching and not the straight Army stitching. Even though the WWI USMC regs show the chevrons with straight stitching, I think it was done for simplicity reasons, since they are line drawings. Anyway, I do not profess to be the expert, so I will gladly listen to any other thoughts. I will just say that I would not spend my money on these chevrons. I have seen a lot of what I feel are reproduction chevrons on Ebay lately and I just assumed that it is because of the dollar amounts that they are now commanding. Semper Fi! - Jeff

Jeff-

Excellent observation on the straight stitching vs. cross stitching.

Kurt

• 1 month later...
MurfreesboroMemphis

Could someone explain where you notice the straight vs cross stitching? I'm a novice and understand the vernacular but can't see exactly where this is seen. Thanks.

Semper Fi,

-Will

• 2 years later...
SgtMaddoxUSMC

Here is an illustration showing the stitching variations discussed above. (Images borrowed from Mtlh2010 and Brig)
post-133515-0-44418800-1446558010.jpg