WWII POW's canteen? If so help identifying POW.

Tony641

I picked this up at a yard sale a few weeks ago but was not sure if I could post pictures due to the fact that I believe it is German. Then I figured it belonged to someone from the US. If this is not permitted I appologize.

I was told it was a POW's canteen however they only said that because of what was written (carved) into it. Would this be something that a POW would be given and hold onto?

Is there a way to figure out who it belonged to? If you cant read the engraving it says J-9452.

Thanks in advance.

mvgo0k.jpg

10nu61v.jpg

hi folks :the water bottle is italian army issue(without the felt cover and shoulder strap) not german army issue...beyond that i can't add any more...vince g. 11B INF

Looks like a soldier's laundry mark; first initial of last name, last four of serial #. If the GI were the POW, I would suspect he would have used his name to ID it as his. Most likely it was aquired from an Italian POW who was allowed to keep it upon capture. I have a German Helmet marked with laundry marks. I think, and may be wrong, but some items were marked to show relevance to the capture papers.

I went through the NARA POW file and checked for soldiers with J names from Wisconsin that had matching last 4 serial numbers, no luck.

Probably given to the Soldier J-9452 as a gift by an Italian POW, rather than issued and carried by a US POW.

I went through the NARA POW file and checked for soldiers with J names from Wisconsin that had matching last 4 serial numbers, no luck.

Probably given to the Soldier J-9452 as a gift by an Italian POW, rather than issued and carried by a US POW.

Thanks for taking the time to check that for me.

Thanks guys for the info.