Fishing kit?

bheskett

My brother picked this up at a garage sale. Fork and spoon are stamped USN. What do I have here and are they worth anything?

Thanks

Bob

post-3384-0-51243700-1372710458.jpg

post-3384-0-42451900-1372710531.jpg

Then what you have is the large apron type fishing kit designed to be used with lifeboats and life rafts (non-pneumatic types). These were procured by the US Navy (Bureau of Ships), Army Transportation Corps and Merchant Marine (USCG Approved). Introduced in 1943 and sealed in cans. Each of the three procurements had differently marked cans but the apron or kit itself was the exact same. These are common and no real value unless complete and condition, prices seem to be all over the place really. Best thing to do is a completed listing search on ebay

This is a Merchant Marine kit. Important here not to read into the color too much all aprons are of HBT and were available through multiple suppliers to at least 3 different primary contractors for the large fishing kit.

post-56-0-58516600-1372713367.jpg

They did make this model of fishing kit well into the early 1960's with no changes. From what I have observed the lures have colored feathers on the late types, white seems to be consist with early models but is not definitive.

post-56-0-17873000-1372713758.jpg

post-56-0-78197100-1372713775.jpg

Bob Hudson

navforks.jpg

Don't under estimated the fork and spoon. I just sold this spoon for $21 and it is not silver, just silverplate that I polished up a bit:

1.jpg

Good call. My spoon and fork has the same markings. The extra silverware may be worth more than the fishing kit.

Thanks

Good call. My spoon and fork has the same markings. The extra silverware may be worth more than the fishing kit.

Thanks

you're probably right !! after what Bob brought the table

• 3 months later...

I have the same kit at Dustins and is in NOS condition. It even still has the bait in it! I loved the instructions about the headhunters on the pacific islands.

Mike