AAF Blue B11 Flying Jacket intermediate.

louie

I posted this on the uniform forum. Should have posted it on this one. what is this jacket?? I have found a lot of weird stuff, but never one like this. It looks real, w/ label and all, but I have no reference on it.

post-470-0-58394100-1372703135.jpg

Here is the label. Looks like the real deal, but never seen any jacket like it. Looks like blue bunny flight material or early Korean War 4 pocket flight shirts. Any one???

post-470-0-47060700-1372703179.jpg

littlebuddy

mmmm my B11 looks like this not blue and has a hood !! strange one

post-106122-0-71560000-1372708815.jpg

I posted a response on your other thread, but this appears to be a civilian jacket relined with a WW2 B-11 jacket like the one shown above.

JD

littlebuddy

Thanks for that JDK !! i was just not brave enough to suggest that !! even though it had crossed my mind :blush:

Whoever did it, did a great job to line stuff up like that. I kind of thought of that too, but you never know. Is this the normal stock number for a B 11??

littlebuddy

Whoever did it, did a great job to line stuff up like that. I kind of thought of that too, but you never know. Is this the normal stock number for a B 11??

im off to check mine now !! do you need to know Louie ??

littlebuddy

Louie the stock no on mine reads 8300 541700 order no (w30-053)ac973

any use to you Louie ?

LB

littlebuddy

whats the stock no Louie on your b11?? as the other numbers are correct

Nomenclature is different though. I have had many of the type you had over the years, but this one has a different label, not the regular b-11 label. I don't think I have seen them say Jacket Inter flying. etc. Looks more like the label in my B15 in style. I would say repro, but the label looks too good.

post-470-0-90682300-1372711070.jpg

vintageproductions

I think I would want to see this in person before I passed judgement on it.

Louie, if you tired of it already, I'd take it........Esp. knowing where you found it.

hbtcoveralls

I had a pair of flight pants that seem to match this jacket's material. I think this jacket is 1950s era Air force. Only one I've seen. Is there any evidence of a white outlined US Air force "star and ball" on the shoulder?.

Tom Bowers

The blue fabric definitely places it in that post '47 period when the newly formed USAF briefly introduced a range of blue flight clothing. Interestingly, the label appears to state "Air Forces US Army"....though it is slightly concealed by the pile. I've got some blue USAF stuff which has AAF labeling and OD stuff which has USAF labeling. Weird, but true! Probably dating from that late 40s transitional period.

here is a better label picture. No AF star, but does have an inside pocket. Material is like B15 inside pocket material.

post-470-0-63840700-1372780946.jpg

inside pocket. This is a professional made jacket, not someone with a sewing machine and extra time. The question is a civilian or AF sewer??

post-470-0-15225300-1372781010.jpg

Interesting jacket!!! It is real, manufactured this way!

Here are some facts about your jacket. The contractor is Ben Greenholtz & Co., The contract is 30053-AC-974 titled as Winter Flying Suit manufactured from March 1944 thru June 1944. The contract prefix tells me this was not a contract awarded by the AAF Material Command they use 33083 but is a command or organization associated with the AAF.

Possibly this garment is associated with the Air Transport Command. There were over 18 domestic airlines that were contracted by the government for training and transportation in the continental US and over seas so has a commercial/civilian connection. Just because it says Property Army Air Force does not necessarily mean it is. This jacket was simply manufactured under AF specification 3178 as outlined in said spec it will say how it is to be marked. An excellent example is the B-4 life preservers , The Army Transportation Corps contracted for these vest under AF spec 3134 it to is marked Prop. AAF.

Contract numbers and other data on labels will often tell a revealing story, bottom line this is not AAF but something else, something associated with flying...Civil Air Patrol ?

Thanks for the answer. I kind of knew this wasn't something made up in someone's imagination. It is too well done for that. It has the feel of a real garment of that era, now I know it is. Not an Army issue, but a U.S. contract issue. Great that someone got this strange jacket figured out!