Need Help - Unidentified Sniper Bullet Medal / Award

jcsoup

I found this odd award in the same case as a US Army Commendation Medal. It is a silver colored bullet attached to a solid blue ribbon. There is no makers mark or hallmark. I measured the bullet with digital calipers and it is .260 caliber and 1.29 inches long, and it weighs about 10 grams. The bullet appears to be genuine and the whole thing seems to be professionally made.

I have seen veterans wear bullets that were removed from them and have bullets and shrapnel made into keychains, pendants, etc, but I have not seen one attached to a ribbon like this one. This bullet is pristine, although it does have a slight red line around it that indicates it was once in a shell casing. Does anyone recognize this as a veterans group award?

The only clue I have is that it was found with the Commendation medal and that it appears to be a .260 sniper round.

post-41112-0-59802100-1372696349.jpg

KevinBeyer

I'm with Jack's Son on this one. I think that it might be a one-off custom piece. As for what reason? I have no idea.

Kevin

Well, for one thought--- the .260 (6.5 mm) would be a very strange caliber for anyone in the US military to use. It probably came from some other source--- Japan, Sweden, Norway, and Italy all used this caliber at various periods. Further, I wonder what makes you refer to it as a "sniper round". Just looks like a normal FMJ bullet to me. 10 grams is about 154 Grains. I certainly can't be sure, but it looks like a bullet from a 6.5 x 55mm Swedish round.

'Sniper' round is just a guess. There was nothing to lead me to believe that it was an award from another country, but it could be.

• 6 months later...