CAPTURED V-1 BUZZ BOMB

BEAST

Here is one of the largest veteran bring-backs that I know of. After the war, this V-1 was at the US Naval Powder Factory, Indian Head, Maryland and along with other captured enemy ordnance was slated for destruction. J. Frank Durham was a reservist on his two week Annual Training at Indian Head and remarked to the OIC in charge of the destruction that it was a shame to destroy all of this stuff when there were people in the country who had never seen such items.

Durham made a list of forty items to be set aside and contacted Senator William Jenner. By 1948, Durham received a telegram from Jenner stating that the Navy Department would release the items to the Greencastle (Indiana) VFW Post.

The VFW decided to build a memorial using this V-1 and plans were put in place to build it on the grounds of the Putnam County Courthouse. A monument was built with the V-1 sitting on a V (for victory)made of limestone. This V-1 is only 1 of 2 in the United States. The other is in the Smithsonian.

For more information go to:

http://www.coveredbridgecountry.com/attractions/wwii-buzzbomb

post-203-0-11254600-1372691792.jpg

How would you like that in your living room!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Glad it was saved.

There's one in Milford, Illinois but it was one put together after the war I believe. They just repainted it last year. I think they called them Loons.

Terry

I was not expecting this presentation to be as nice as it is. somehow I was thinking of a picture of an old rusty hulk sitting on a piece of concert in a park. This is a class display!

RustyCanteen

I was not expecting this presentation to be as nice as it is. somehow I was thinking of a picture of an old rusty hulk sitting on a piece of concert in a park. This is a class display!

Yeah, you don't really expect something that was this thought out!

5thwingmarty

This one in Indiana was just re-painted as well. I don't know if they did any research when they painted it or if they just picked some colors someone thought looked kind on like German camo colors. They used high gloss paint, probably to last longer and be more protective.

I think the U.S. built ones for the Navy were called loons.

Marty

Cobrahistorian

Yep, the US-built ones that we tested postwar were designated JB-2 and nicknamed the Loon. I've got an original V-1 that's got a Loon nosecone on it in the museum's collection.

Jon

I was stationed at Pt. Mugu, CA in the late 50's early 60's with the Marine Aviation Det. There were a number of Loons in the dump.

Paul

Salome, AZ

• 3 weeks later...

Seems you would want that thing out of the weather for posterity..... Even with keeping it painted it won't last forever outside....

• 2 months later...
El Bibliotecario

RE: US manufactured V1s. There is a pristine example at the White Sands Missile Range museum. I thought it was a companion piece to their V2 until I read the placard.

Hi,

Very nice V1 they have and well kept they do last a long while if kept in good order, there are a few in Normandy outside the museums that could do with a good clean and re-paint but they leave them alone, sad really. I made a model of a V1 rocket and launch ramp which Sabrejet may remember on our forum here in Britain, not sure if i can upl;oad a pic of it here. Either way thanks for showing the V1.

Dave.

Here are two different examples on display at Paul Allen's museum at Paine Field, WA. One is a type with a cockpit. I took these photos several years ago.

Enjoy!

post-9214-0-43072000-1382662358.jpg

post-9214-0-32329200-1382662366.jpg