"Tankfest 2013"....a photo-report (very pic heavy!)

Sabrejet

Britain's famous "Tank Museum" at Bovington, Dorset, is generally regarded as the world's finest collection of vintage armoured vehicles and is at the cutting edge of armour conservation....after all, it is literally the "home" of the tank, which was first invented and trialled here back in WW1.

Recent years have seen major developments on the site with new buildings added and the visitor experience enhanced. The newest building is the Vehicle Conservation Centre which will officially open to the public in September. Apart from increased exhibition space, this new display area will also allow the public to observe the museum's skilled conservation engineers at work restoring and maintaining vintage armoured vehicles.

There is a program of events all year round at the museum, but the highlight is the annual "Tankfest", when the museum can let loose its many runners in the arena. There's nothing quite like getting close up and personal with the noise, smell and dust of armour on the move...especially when Tiger 131 struts its stuff!

I attended this year's event under clear blue English summer skies last weekend. Apart from the stars of the show...the tanks...there was much else to see such as re-enactor displays, trade areas, demonstrations, plus the attractions of the museum itself.

As this is a US militaria forum, I'll focus primarily on the various US exhibits which were to be seen. However, in order to convey the flavour of the event as a whole I'll also include some shots which give the bigger picture.

(Please note. If you open this thread whilst I'm still uploading,please bear with me as I have a lot of images to go through! Thank you)

post-8022-0-30570900-1372679953.jpg

OK...let's go outside! Tiger 131 on the move!! :o (the world's only complete running Tiger)

post-8022-0-70432700-1372681668.jpg