USAF F-101 Voodoo Patch

usaf70

What can anyone tell me about the attached F-101 patch as to use and value?

It is sewn to a garment bag that was used by a pilot who flew the F-101, T-33, & F-94.

He said the bag was custom made at their parachute section and fit perfectly in the pods

on the aircraft. The usafpatches site says the patch was for a William Tell competition but this gentleman

says it was not.

Any info and possible values is appreciated.

post-388-0-17276500-1372626116.jpg

Moving this to the Shoulder Sleeve Insignia and Patches forum and added USAF to the title. Let's see if that gets a better response.

It's quite possible that you know more about this with the information that you have than anybody else on here!

I am guessing this is from the early 1960's... guessing $30 value maybe? I don't believe I have seen another one, and large, unique aircraft patches from the time period seem to bring good money.

Patchcollector

Being oversized,I'm thinking that it is a novelty patch,possibly based on another patch design,such as the William Tell competition.

Patchcollector

I know the patch you are thinking of,and I don't think that they are related.
The motif of the 101 patches is of a tribal nature,as evidenced by the examples I have posted.
There are more F101 patches at this website:
http://www.f-101voodoo.com/photo_gallery/index.php/Patches

Her are some F101 variations I found at the website above.

post-13386-0-81484200-1372764361.gif

post-13386-0-70786900-1372764369.gif

What can anyone tell me about the attached F-101 patch as to use and value?

It is sewn to a garment bag that was used by a pilot who flew the F-101, T-33, & F-94.

He said the bag was custom made at their parachute section and fit perfectly in the pods

on the aircraft. The usafpatches site says the patch was for a William Tell competition but this gentleman

says it was not.

Any info and possible values is appreciated.

Your patch was used on the back of flight jackets by the 414th Fighter Group. They were at Oxnard AFB, CA, and flew Voodoos from 60-68. There are 2 tabs that go with this patch, one that says 414TH and the other FTGP. I'll try to remember to post them when I get home since they are actually related to your original question. They are all made in Japan.

Randy

Johnny Signor

I think this one is also shown in the Jerome Polder books , mine isn't handy at the moment ..........................

The veteran I got it from says he got his from McDonnell when his squadron got their 101's and it was not related to William Tell

Here you go. The tabs were worn one on each side of the upper fuselage. I forgot to add earlier the 437 FIS was the flying unit under the 414th. The coaster I added to show where the inspiration for the patch may have come from. These were given out by McDonnell tech reps in the late 50s/early 60s.

Randy

post-8832-0-21836000-1372805926.jpg

firefighter

Here you go. The tabs were worn one on each side of the upper fuselage. I forgot to add earlier the 437 FIS was the flying unit under the 414th. The coaster I added to show where the inspiration for the patch may have come from. These were given out by McDonnell tech reps in the late 50s/early 60s.

Randy

Randy, Very cool.I assume the tabs are just as rare as the back patch? Did they have a tab for the 437th FIS too?

If they did, I haven't seen it. I have seen a few sets of both over the years. Mine had the 101 patch with it as well, but it wasn't salvageable.

Randy

• 2 years later...

I really like the variations of this particular patch , so much so i have just bought one from here on the forum i used to have a ONE OH WONDER wish i hadnt sold it now !

Can anyone point me in the right direction to get some more please ??

LB

Just wanted to say, what an awesome patch! I wouldn't have had a clue it was military related if I saw this in the wild. Thank you for posting this!

Neat Voodoo patch thread, and the first plain "Vietnam" tab I've seen (post #7).

Here's one I have from the 20th TRS with a "North Vietnam" bottom tab:

post-3632-0-96270200-1452115439.jpg

Dale

• 2 years later...

Modern made PI rerpo, sorry. If you got this from seller abqmetal on eBay she is selling tons of repros made there, so buyer beware! Attached is a real one, when the 81 TFW flew the F-101A/C.

post-8832-0-45723200-1538315952.jpg

Modern made PI rerpo, sorry. If you got this from seller abqmetal on eBay she is selling tons of repros made there, so buyer beware! Attached is a real one, when the 81 TFW flew the F-101A/C.

Thanks Sir

My Suspect Has Founded Now...Have a Great Day