On Selling my Jeep

jgawne

I have been trying everything in the book to NOT do this, but I have to face facts and realize it's time to go. Mainly financially, but also I realize that I am NOT a vehicle person and am just not going to anything with it.

The thing is, while it is a nice 1944 Willys, although an older restoration and essentially a reenactment vehicle, the previous owners and I had put a lot of work into finding all sorts of accessories that should have been on it.

I feel like all that should stay with the jeep, which would also help me just make it all go away at once, manuals, spare parts, extra thingys, etc. However my local jeep expert who has helped keep it running over the years says I should sell some of the stuff separate- like the winch (which is not on the jeep, but originally was, or the chemical decontaminator, first aid kit, or machine gun mount) or whatever.

So I guess I am wondering what people think- It's sort of like assembling a uniform from parts, then when you go to sell it, stripping off the insignia and selling it separately. Or, as jeep come in all different types and configurations, should I make it easier to sell by parting out some of the extras and thus being able to lower the overall price?

Good question. It all depends on your time frame and financial situation. Bundled together, It's gone. The price will determine if it is good for you or the buyer. If you part it out, longer time to get your money but a greater potential for maximizing profit. Price it both ways and let the buyer decide.

Just an aside. In the antique motorcycle world, breakers are frowned upon.

hbtcoveralls

Since most of the "accessories" didn't come with the Jeep originally then they don't need to go with it now. Many of those items may have become collectible in their own right and be worth way more than you are thinking. It's hard to get somebody to pay more for the Jeep just because of the accessories, so I think that unless they were on the Jeep when you got them, that it's okay to retail them out.

Tom Bowers

RustyCanteen

The onboard tools and manuals should be kept together.

Anything else is an add-on, and the new owner may have different tastes for them.

I suppose not everyone will want the windshield defroster for the jeep.

Obviously you can tell I am probably trying to stall in selling it...