What rate is this?

TrevorR

I got some more of my Great Grandfathers items from the USN. I know he was a Baker 3 Class, but I do not think this is the rate for that. Could anyone inform me what this rate is.

post-5589-0-97138500-1402281672.jpg

apprentice petty officer

You are correct. Navy and Coast Guard used them during recruit training. The patch was a bit smaller to distinguish a Recruit Petty officer from a regular Petty Officer

I just confused since my Great Grandpa was a Baker 3class, so why would this be with his stuff?

His name was Bertrans Andrew Connor

I just confused since my Great Grandpa was a Baker 3class, so why would this be with his stuff?

His name was Bertrans Andrew Connor

He could have very well been a recruit company commander during either his basic training or perhaps (not such about this) when he was in baker school. There was always recruits that ran the company in absence of the Company Commander. Since this patch shows a chief rating that means he was the leader. Don't know how you can find out unless you find the company roster somewhere in his paperwork. Is there a recruit company picture? It might show him with the patch on.

Navy recruit training companies are about 100 persons strong. They have a recruit chosen to be in charge - Recruit Petty Officer in Charge) (RPOC) and an assistant recruit company commander (ARPOC). As well as other positions filled by recruits, i.e. Recruit Squad Leaders, Recruit Master at Arms, Laundry PO, Mail PO etc.

By the time I was in, the RPOC wore a single CPO Garrison cap pin on his shirt, the ARPOC & RMAA wore a E6 hat pin on his shirt, the Squad leaders wore E5 hat pins. The laundry & Mail PO's wore 3rd class pins.

That patch would have only been worn for a short time by your G-Grand dad. Couple months. Once he left Boot camp it had to be removed.

Jon B

Newaygo MI

• 4 weeks later...

Finally found a picture in my "archives" that show the recruit petty officers patch. In this picture there are at least 16 RPO's. I don't see a RCPO but the guy to the right of the SMC has his hand over his patch, could be one or not.

post-87-0-70710500-1374805458.jpg

Salvage Sailor

Very nice photo of this pre-war recruit company which clearly shows the RPO patch in use. Many of these sailors would have been serving with the fleet when Pearl Harbor was attacked. What I really find interesting are the black leather shin guards on the three 20+ year right arm rate CPO's who pushed these boots in 1939.

I think I have a wartime recruit company photo somewhere, a panoramic photo, I'll have to look at the differences in what the Chiefs are wearing and for the recruit patches.

Just dug out my other group pictures from NTS San Diego, one from 1942 the other from 1945. Curiously there are no Recruit Petty Officer patches seen. Perhaps the other training stations had them during this time period.

What I really find interesting are the black leather shin guards on the three 20+ year right arm rate CPO's who pushed these boots in 1939.

Yes indeed! The black leather puttees were probably a locally-recognized but officially non-regulation alternative to the canvas leggings. They certainly stand out!

Justin B.

Salvage Sailor

Yes indeed! The black leather puttees were probably a locally-recognized but officially non-regulation alternative to the canvas leggings. They certainly stand out!

Justin B.

Yep,

They are very similar to those worn by motorcycle policemen of the era, quite distinctive and obviously meant to be by the Chiefs.