Yard Sale Score, WW2 5-Star General Stars

S McKibben

S McKibben

I guess I am missing it??

Found it lol, fourth column over and 4th paragraph down. Missing in Action in Germany, guess he could have been a POW. Thanks manayunkman for the info.

Shawn

dave peifer

very interesting and fun topic,that wallet looks identical to 2 my father sent home from africa during ww11,one red leather and one this color.........dave

S McKibben

Question, these pins/Rank were not available for sale to just any GI back then were they?? Kinda like the PX nowdays.

Thanks

Shawn

Garandomatic

very interesting and fun topic,that wallet looks identical to 2 my father sent home from africa during ww11,one red leather and one this color.........dave

Looks identical to one that came with my 34th Division grouping that was made in Oran, to be specific. I'd say you did pretty well at that yard sale!

Superb selection of GO insignia! The rank "General of the Army" was only bestowed upon active wartime commanders. The only men to have held this rank in WW2 were Ike, Bradley, Marshall, MacArthur and Arnold. So, if that is an original piece, it should be relatively easy to track it back by process of elimination. This rank is so uncommon, its insignia would not have been mass-produced so that any "Joe" could buy it at the PX. Looks like you've hit the motherlode there!

Re the wallet...these are common souvenir pieces from N.Africa, still available today. My son brought me back a similar one from Tunisia a few years ago.

sgtdorango

That is amazing, im really on board with that theory that someone that made acquaintances with the Generals were given pieces of their insignia as a souvenir and kept them on the wallet....incredible item!....mike