Yard Sale Score, WW2 5-Star General Stars

S McKibben

Dang my pickers are getting good. This all came out of a yard sale this morning. All are ww2 vintage Officer insignia. Oh what a score. I think a couple of them could be english made.

Shawn

post-5730-0-34994700-1372553242.jpg

You may really have something there. I'd contact the Eisenhower Museum and see if examples they have are constructed in the same way. Not saying this belonged to Ike, but if they are made the same as something he wore, that would be really something.

Thanks I will check into it. I have 1-2-3-5 stars sets. Plus 1-2lt. Maj, and Lt Col. Pins also. They were bought attatched to a leather wallet.

firefighter

Very cool.When you look at the front it looks the stars applied but you see the back and its a one piece.Very nice looking and I would also say Brit made.

firefighter

These look familiar?

Stars.-fig1.jpg

Figure 1 Front and back view of General Eisenhower's
five­star insignia; theater made.

igure 1 shows an insignia attributed to General of the Army Eisenhower. The unique features of this particular insignia are that it is cut from one piece of silver stock, it incorporates a circular background device into the design, and the pin and safety catch on the reverse are typically British. It is not marked in any way. These features would tend to indicate that this is not only a theater made piece, but probably a prototype piece made up for General Eisenhower. This seems very probable when one considers that at the time of his promotion he was at his headquarters in France, the day before the Germans were to launch their winter offensive in the Ardennes -- the eve of the Battle of the Bulge!

I would say spot on. Thanks for the info firefighter. I may have really stumbled on to something spectacular!!!

Shawn

Couple of possible scenarios here:

1. The insignia manufacturer made up more of these than Ike would have needed. The original wallet owner bought a 5 star pin at their store.

or...the much better scenario:

2. The wallet owner was some sort of celebrity or "important person." Famous USO person, movie star, congressman, somebody who could ask a general for a souvenir pin. Is there a name in that wallet? If not, would your picker be able to contact the selling family? If you can tie this wallet to someone who had "access" to Ike during the war, it could be a reasonable leap of faith that this pin did belong to Ike.

Bottom line, you scored a very rare piece of insignia.

firefighter

Are the other badges British made? At first I was thinking sweetheart but did some digging and proved myself wrong.

Those look wild! I'm glad firefighter posted the link...I think they may well be an early legit 5-star device! Definitely theater made, same with the two star device as well.

I changed the location of this thread and the title to hopefully get a bit more attention and some other opinions. I think you found a winner!

Dave

everforward

This really sounds promising....good hunting on the research. Not your everyday yard sale material for sure....!

firefighter

Very cool that some of the other items are also Brit made.Look's like they ALL came together and not just thrown together.

I am going to try and find out the name of the vet that brought these back for sure. I have already sent a email to the eisehower museum so hope to hear back from them soon. Thanks guys!!

Shawn

S McKibben

OK this may be the Vets Name. George J Schroyer if anyone has access to the searches It would be much appreciated.

Shawn

S McKibben

Ok guys I got his name off of a medal that was inside the wallet. I never paid attention to it because it was not military..... Well its a American Educators Medal from the Freedoms Foundation at Valley Forge.

" President Dwight D. Eisenhower served as its first chairman and chairman emeritus until his death in 1969." The Medal is dated 1969??

​Seems to me that there are some coincidence's there. maybe the Museum can help fill in the holes.

post-5730-0-43167000-1372658419.jpg