Opinions please on this OD3 compass pouch

1940Desoto

Doesn't look right to me. The pouch looks much taller than most. The female LTD snap doesn't look like WW2 production. The back of the female snap shouldn't be smooth, it should have ridges and the letters on the front of the snap look like those seen on repro gear. Also the loop on the back of the carrier is much thinner than I've ever seen. I'll try to post some pics to illustrate my point.

post-3508-0-47196300-1372485299.jpg

Snap front. Some have the s in a triangle I think others were unmarked. Also, I don't think this type of pouch was made in OD3. I think they were only made in various shades of OD7. Could be wrong though.

post-3508-0-81941800-1372486974.jpg

Good points mate, and I appreciate your time and the images posted, thank you.

I have compared the Lift the Dot snaps to the ones on my Australian made Reising/Thompson mag pouch and also a .45 auto pouch and they both have the same backings. I have a suspicion that this may be Commonwealth manufactured.

The material and construction doesn't look new/synthetic to me but I always like to get other more advised opinions.

Cheers

Sean

Very good point! I never considered that it could be Commonwealth made. I haven't handled much in the way of Commonwealth made field gear, but from what I've seen on the forum, there were a lot of little variances between the U.S. made gear and the Commonwealth made stuff and maybe that's what we're seeing here. Hopefully someone else will chime in. I'm very interested to see what we find out.

Me 2 mate, I love the odd kit. However, if it is British made it will be no good for my USMC PTO specific collection.

Fixbayonets!

I will have to cast a vote of repro on this pouch. I have never come across one of these pouches in OD3, I hate to say never but they all seem to be in OD7. There are many reproductions of this pouch in OD3 I think because so many reenactors insist on all matching khaki color gear. I once had one of these compass pouches in OD7 but for some reason it did not sit well with me. After turning it inside out I found a manufacturers mark & date stamp of 2001. The pouch was made with all original canvas and harware so beware even if it looks & feels right. I also don't think that there is a British made variation of this pouch, does anyone have one?

Rob

1940Desoto

Thanks gentlemen, I passed on this one...gotta love this Forum ! Indispensable !!

Cheers

S

• 1 month later...
craig_pickrall

I do not have a compass pouch in OD3 with OD3 binding but I do have a couple in OD3 with OD7 binding. A lot of times more can be told from the back of these pouches than from the front. I can't state a source but I do suspect the pouch at the beginning of this thread is a repro.

post-5-0-62559500-1377371872.jpg

post-5-0-45454300-1377371890.jpg

Fixbayonets!

Yes, transitional pouches made with a combination of OD#3 and OD#7 materials along with solid OD#7 pouches are correct. Now does anyone have an original pouch made in solid khaki OD#3 like the one that started this thread? I have yet to see one that was original but like I said I hate to say never.

Rob

Gents-

For what it's worth, I'll post a picture of an all OD #3 repro pouch offered by At The Front. Under magnification, the snaps are the same as the pouch in question. Also, note the greater depth of the repro pouch that seems like the one Sean is asking about in his post. Sorry, but ATF doesn't show the back of the pouch on their website.

Resperctfully submitted,

Terry ("Bagman")

post-545-0-25905100-1377411368.jpg

Thanks Johan. I'll have to look through my pouches when I return in a couple of weeks but the hardware appears correct and if I recall, I have seen these with late 40's (49) or early 50's m1938 lensatic compasses. It appears that the last four was applied with a felt type pen which if correct would indicate at least post war use. The slight cant of the LTD's also does not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling but unlike the earlier post of a fake these snaps appear to be correct for a US pouch. What peaked my interest was the different type of snap. I could not expand it far enough to tell what it was but I knew was not the typical triangle S (Scovill?) or standard lift the dot (just dot) as normally seen on the WWII pouches. Thanks again for sharing.

Regards,

CC

Johan Willaert

Thanks, i have always thought the tan ones to be erlier than the dark impregnated ones and of course the number could have been larked on it at any point in history...

So do you think these came after the dark ones?