Liberty Cuffs

Garandomatic

Thanks for sharing! Some really cool pictures . . . For those of us who haven't heard of these, what exactly is a Liberty Cuff?

8 minutes ago, stratasfan said:

Thanks for sharing! Some really cool pictures . . . For those of us who haven't heard of these, what exactly is a Liberty Cuff?

Per Dan Smith's book, U.S. Navy Tailor-Made Dress Blues, Liberty Cuffs and Sailor Folk Art, "Liberty cuffs are those embroidered patches sewn inside the cuffs of Navy dress blue uniforms worn by Navy enlisted men below the grade of chief petty officer." "The embroidered patches were non-regulation, meaning "illegal", and often resulted in sailors having their liberty card cancelled and being immediately sent back to their ship or shore station if they were caught."

21 minutes ago, stratasfan said:

OH, thanks, @0bx! That's perfect! So . . . why would you wear them if you got punished for it?

Obviously the goal was to not get caught and I think most did not get caught. However, I am sure the former enlisted Navy folks on the USMF can provide a more complete answer than I can.

18 hours ago, 0bx said:

Obviously the goal was to not get caught and I think most did not get caught. However, I am sure the former enlisted Navy folks on the USMF can provide a more complete answer than I can.

For the most part, it was one of those “Regs”, that mostly went ignored. Obviously, you didn’t run around the ship or base with your cuffs rolled up. Unless someone had an “issue” with them, SP didn’t bother. Most likely, they had cuffs in the jumper they were wearing. Yeah, SP was supposed to enforce regulations. But, it was just a watch, tomorrow, you’d be out on Liberty too. So, just do what you could to break up fights and take care of those too trashed to get back to their ships. Permanent SP, saw things a bit different, but they were only in some port cities, and you knew they were there

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, tom63 said:

Liberty Cuffs  Link to an earlier post I submitted on this same subject.   Some really bad reproductions out there!

LOL, not all of the “Originals” were all that great either 😉

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 10/4/2021 at 12:19 PM, 0bx said:

IMG_0498.JPG.fa6e3a1b2c4a449c45262d7a901ea5ed.JPG

Obx, with the latest addition to your collection, I'd say you have the best collection I'm aware of. Congratulations. -dan

11 hours ago, dpcsdan said:

Obx, with the latest addition to your collection, I'd say you have the best collection I'm aware of. Congratulations. -dan

Thanks Dan. Always looking for additions.