FURY

kammo-man

PJK Hendrikx

I uncovered photos of troopers of the 82nd Airborne Division in Nijmegen, Holland, with a .45 with a photo of his girl on the grips of the gun. It will be in our new pictorial history of the 82nd Airborne Division in the Holland campaign, titled " Burning Bridges". It will be published this year.

Peter Hendrikx

I uncovered photos of troopers of the 82nd Airborne Division in Nijmegen, Holland, with a .45 with a photo of his girl on the grips of the gun. It will be in our new pictorial history of the 82nd Airborne Division in the Holland campaign, titled " Burning Bridges". It will be published this year.

Peter Hendrikx

Very cool!

Juan, thanks for the insight. I agree the ending would have made so much more sense had that been in the film.

As for photos under clear grips, I've seen several vet bring-backs of clear grips and photos (most removed from the pistols that had to be turned back in) over the years.

vintageproductions

All of this was in the original cut.

Now it is just in the extras on the Blu-ray

Nine O Nine

I loved Fury in the cinema and have just seen the Blu Ray extras and they are really amazing. The stuff about Rose and some of the alternate takes of scenes really give the film an extra level. Owen do you know why they were cut? Was it just a time thing or something else?

Well said Juan.

What ends up up the editing room floor is something movie watchers have debated for years ………its a question like saying which version of blade runner is best.

owen

Gonna be a long time until i get the real 'Fury' experience then, as the studio has decreed that DVD owners don't deserve the bonus material...

What ends up up the editing room floor is something movie watchers have debated for years ………its a question like saying which version of blade runner is best.

Very good point. And as for which version of Blade Runner... sheesh, I still can't answer that question after seeing all the versions!

vintageproductions

As has been said numerous times in this thread, you can buy a Blu-Ray player that plays dvds also, for a very inexpensive price. That's what I did, so I could see the extra footage.

Or you can sit around a beetch and moan, and you won't see the extra footage.

Seems to be a pretty simple solution.

The well known LIFE picture...

Believe it or not, the very next thing I noticed immediately after the beautifully customized 45ACP was how puckered the wool shirt was. Call me picky but damn if the QM laundry units would just dry clean instead of washing... :rolleyes:

There are numerous accounts of Germans using green tracers in WWII, or sometimes green to red (called grun-rot in german) in their machine guns.

Just another confirmation of the use of tracers by the Germans , here is a full box of 1937 dated Green to red armor piercing tracers.

Mitch

post-592-0-99518600-1425688657.jpg

Just finished a book about the 10th Moutain Division, and there were a couple of reference to green tracers.

It's just something I'd never thought of before. Lots of film taken in WW2 of Germans firing tracers, but almost all of it is in b/w...

the scene when the tank runs over the mine at the crossroads, who placed the mine there? US or Germans? if the Germans put it there why would they be driving over the same area with the heavy half track type armor / troop carriers?

dont they keep track of where the mines are? was it common for US to run over their own anti tank mines during WWII? if the Germans mined the road wouldnt they let those SS troops know about it?

the scene when the tank runs over the mine at the crossroads, who placed the mine there? US or Germans? if the Germans put it there why would they be driving over the same area with the heavy half track type armor / troop carriers?

dont they keep track of where the mines are? was it common for US to run over their own anti tank mines during WWII? if the Germans mined the road wouldnt they let those SS troops know about it?

Thanks, I'd wondered that as well. Seems like a comical hazard, planting mines where you'd need to go, and not marking them in any way, if you're the Germans.

And only one mine, even in such a case?

well...

...They are in Germany.

...and they are trying to slow the Allies down.

well...

...They are in Germany.

...and they are trying to slow the Allies down.

Yeah, but they'd be slowing down German units in either direction.

I really don't think the Germans were that stupid, tactically, to plant a single mine (if there was more than one, it'd gone off during the action at the end of the movie) in the middle of a crossroads with no markings so other Germans wouldn't blown themselves up going over it on a counter-attack.

Really, I assume if the Germans had gotten to that crossroads before 'Fury' did, then a few dismounts would have been blown to pieces, slowing them down while the SS CO decided if they'd gone into a field of them or if they'd just been visited by the 'random landmine fairy'... :huh:

Beau-Brummel

Well, I've just seen It, bought it in Tesco's in fact and was very pleasantly surprised. After reading all the Initial arguments and counter points, I was extremely worried that I was going to experience the usual Hollywood, triumph of money over substance, wankfest. Albeit a graphically 'beautiful' one.

Au contraire, against all preconceptions I found the majority of It absolutely riveting; Yes the end was Implausible, bordering on ridiculous but come on people, It was a hollywoood film and as has been stated multiple times In this thread, they are all about making money and keeping people entertained. If it had been made just to appease us geeks it would have bombed spectacularly to an audience of about nine people. In fact It would never have been made at all.

There were certain scenes I found a bit hard to take and a little heavy handed, but they were there to make a point and to kick the plot along In a limited time frame; Normans dehumanisation could have been far more subtly handled had this run ten odd hours a' la BOB but It didn't have that luxury so It had to happen quickly. The Irony of the poor German lad being executed due to his American coat when the lead spent much of the movie brandishing a German weapon and whose tank was lavishly adorned with trophy's was not lost on me. Weather that was Intentional who Is to say but I would like to think so.

After reading all the opinions here I was truly dreading the scene with the two women so Imagine my surprise when It actually turned out to be extremely powerful and very sensitively handled. The recurrent theme of the horse Is all explained here and to see the characters Individual reactions to being suddenly confronted by a degree of normalcy and homeliness was I thought quite stunning. The subsequent artillery strike was a bit lame with shades of BOB but again, a point had to be made quickly.

As far as the cast went I was really Impressed; at Interview Bernthal actually comes across as a bit of a dick I think, but his performance In this was show stopping! A good actor bordering on great I would say. Shia La Beouf always gets a bad rap but here he seemed to have embraced the 'method' and really made It work for him. Michael Pena was thoroughly Impressive and at Interview comes across as a real pro and team player; a very good foil to Bernthal's somewhat self obsessed projection, and young Logan Lerman proved his ability admirably with lots more to come I think. In fact for me Pitt was the worst of the lot; To qualify that, his performance was solid as It always Is, I think maybe I'm just a bit sick of the sight of him and would have preferred his part to be played by a lesser star with much more to prove. That Is a purely personal criticism and In reality probably holds about as much water as complaints about total realism In a Hollywood block buster. It's a rather sad Indictment on the viewing public that without such a huge name much of the revenue stream would have been lost but that's movies for you.

Visually and technically It was an absolute tour de force; the tracer and AT fire were spectacular and the quality of the costumes, the wardrobes distressing of same and the set dressing were pretty much peerless! Only tiny niggle for me were the German helmets which I felt could have used a bit more work (paint jobs I mean) but that Is a rather Insignificant criticism amongst the panoply of minute detail.

I've actually watched It four times now and keep seeing new things, that will keep It's appeal far longer than the slightly stilted script and limited story line.

Great job one and all!

Yours, Guy.