FURY

kammo-man

If you look on eBay, you'll see plenty of DVDs and Blu-Rays disks. My first reaction was, "Wow, it's out already?" and was going to go pick one up on my way home tonight...

Then, I read the listings and saw it a release on the 27th and you're pre-ordering it. Darn. Some listings mentioned a exclusive boxed set at Target stores, I'll be interested to see what all you get with that.

The movie made it very late to Germany. It started here 2 weeks ago. First I have to say it's one of the best war films ever made, in the technical aspect. The filmcrew made an impressive job. Excellent equipment, sets, uniforms, amazing sense for correct details. Owen, you created outstanding stuff!!! The actors are on the same level. The film worked very well for, after the duell with the Tiger I thought this movie will be my new all-time favorite. But then explodes the antitank mine and for me, the entire film was more damaged than the Sherman. The following final scenes are a bad joke for me. Sorry, it could have been a masterpiece.

Watched it last night and overall was not impressed. The technical stuff was good (tanks, equipment, etc) but I thought the story line was poor. The "mad minutes" at the end was way to long and hard to take. Would I watch it again? Probably, but this is not on the same level as Band of Brothers; Generation War; Saving Private Ryan IMHO.

The movie made it very late to Germany. It started here 2 weeks ago. First I have to say it's one of the best war films ever made, in the technical aspect. The filmcrew made an impressive job. Excellent equipment, sets, uniforms, amazing sense for correct details. Owen, you created outstanding stuff!!! The actors are on the same level. The film worked very well for, after the duell with the Tiger I thought this movie will be my new all-time favorite. But then explodes the antitank mine and for me, the entire film was more damaged than the Sherman. The following final scenes are a bad joke for me. Sorry, it could have been a masterpiece.

I agree %100.

I was so excited for this film, and wanted / expected to love every bit of it. I saw it in the theater multiple times, each time making excuses for the last 1/3 of the movie. After months of making excuses in my head and trying over and over to justify the excesses, I have to admit the ending made a joke out of what could have been one of the best war movies ever.

No disrespect intended to those who contributed and helped to acheive what was technically great about the movie. Much was great! Sadly the entire last stand part took SO much away from it that I can no longer make excuses, this movie was a terrible disappointment in my opinion.

"it could have been a masterpiece" but in the end it was an embarrassment (in my opinon).

I find it funny how this thread has slowly morphed from "best movie ever," to "Great for the details but disappointing"...

I can name dozens of war films (and plenty of non-war films) that could fit that description; but they are only films. People who get too bent out of shape by a film need a life.

Look at 'Battle of the Bulge', it is derided by almost all collectors. Technical accuracy? No way! But 'Tora! Tora! Tora!' which did pretty darn well (in technical accuracy) for a late 1960s war film drags on and on. SPR has the most ridiculous plot, but was/is practically worshipped by many collectors and reenactors as the realization of their fantasy.

One man's perfect movie is another man's 'I can't stand it!', in the end they are something you watch; not live by. If someone out there wakes up in a cold sweat at 3am after analyzing a movie, then they need to get some therapy.

I find it funny how this thread has slowly morphed from "best movie ever," to "Great for the details but disappointing"...

Actually, some people mentioned "great for details but disappointing" early on but they were so badly whipped that people stopped commenting about anything that wasn't a glowing review. I thought this exact same thing in the beginning but never responded because I didn't want to get beat up about it. I thought the battle scenes were great but the over-all story line was lacking.

....Kat

Look at 'Battle of the Bulge', it is derided by almost all collectors. Technical accuracy? No way! But 'Tora! Tora! Tora!' which did pretty darn well (in technical accuracy) for a late 1960s war film drags on and on. SPR has the most ridiculous plot, but was/is practically worshipped by many collectors and reenactors as the realization of their fantasy.

Good points. When I got into re-enacting, all the GI re-enactors kept quoting "Kelly's Heroes" which I will always contend is the ultimate re-enactor's movie. And all the German re-enactors would quote lines from, "Cross of Iron." My, how things have changed, huh? Neither movie is horribly accurate but in the case of Kelly's Heroes, it's hard to deny how entertaining it is (and really, how accurate it turned out when you look at all the little details they did get right, especially for a dark comedy in an era where historical accuracy just wasn't that big a thing, taking into account the things that did get screwed up, that is).

Actually, some people mentioned "great for details but disappointing" early on but they were so badly whipped that people stopped commenting about anything that wasn't a glowing review.

I seemed to recall that but didn't think going back through a bunch of 'atta boy' and inside joke posts from the crew guys was a good use of my time to make certain.

ViewfinderGyrene

I can name dozens of war films (and plenty of non-war films) that could fit that description; but they are only films. People who get too bent out of shape by a film need a life.

One man's perfect movie is another man's 'I can't stand it!', in the end they are something you watch; not live by. If someone out there wakes up in a cold sweat at 3am after analyzing a movie, then they need to get some therapy.

Well said, RC. In the end, movies are mostly up to opinion, something that doesn't show up much in documented historical narratives that we see coming out of the actual conflict.

In the end aside from accuracy of equipment, clothing, vehicles, conditions, and tactics; we the collecting/research community might find it best to say:

"They made a movie that is raw and accurately represents the aforementioned categories, at least those characteristics will hold the rest of the World's attention. Maybe, just maybe, said film might help in igniting an interest that would move them enough to explore other sources".

We'll see when all the hype fades away. It's like the American presidents. History will judge the legacy of this film. The ending doesn't make or break the whole movie though some disagree. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Call me easy. Call me biased. The big picture is that this was a film like very few others. From a technical aspect (including uiforms:-D) it's like NONE other.

Besides there's I think some 40 minutes of unreleased footage on the Blue Ray! More eye candy!!!

vintageproductions

We'll see when all the hype fades away. It's like the American presidents. History will judge the legacy of this film. The ending doesn't make or break the whole movie though some disagree. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Call me easy. Call me biased. The big picture is that this was a film like very few others. From a technical aspect (including uiforms:-D) it's like NONE other.

Besides there's I think some 40 minutes of unreleased footage on the Blue Ray! More eye candy!!!

Juan, the commercial I saw yesterday said 50 minutes of unseen footage will be added.

I liked the movie very much, yes the ending may not be "realistic" but we go to movies for the shoot'em up lets face it blood, guts and explosions=entertainment the same stuff we gobbled up watching Combat, Battle of the Bulge, Longest Day...name your movie. Set your technical dreary accuracy aside and enjoy! Makes you want to go out and play "army" all over again which got us into collecting in the first place.

Funny how Kelly's Heroes gets brought up as a "war" movie more accurately its a movie about a bank heist with comic relief set in WWII much like an Oceans 11, I find it funny and entertaining more so that it is army related which you cant ask for a better combo. Its almost like calling Stripes a war movie or Private Benjamin.

Being a tank enthusiast, FURY did (re-)open my eyes on what these guys had to go through at times.

Moving forward, nothing to be seen and then .... BOOM ..... another 5 KIA.

Makes you really wonder.

Erwin

Yeah, there are going to be SO many 'Fury' tank dioramas made in the modeling world for a while, especially once the DVD comes out and model builders can then take notes.

As for the DVD, I understand that it comes out tomorrow. Will be picking up one for sure on my way to the office in the morning

I've heard that it will have 40-50 minutes of extra footage added. Wondering if it will be in the bonus features, or in the form of a director's cut and added into the original film? I'm hoping it will be in the form off a director's cut myself!

I just hope they don't limit the goodies to just the blu-ray like I've seen in several other films.

I'll be getting a blu-ray player eventually, I guess. I am buying sets with both disks when they're available, but the bonus stuff only gets onto the blu-ray. I'm not there yet with one of those players...

I just hope they don't limit the goodies to just the blu-ray like I've seen in several other films.

I'll be getting a blu-ray player eventually, I guess. I am buying sets with both disks when they're available, but the bonus stuff only gets onto the blu-ray. I'm not there yet with one of those players...

I am in the same boat! I am still using my DVD player from MANY years ago. :)

I don't know why they only put the bonus stuff on blu-ray. Just to get us to spend more! ;)

....Kat

I am in the same boat! I am still using my DVD player from MANY years ago. :)

I don't know why they only put the bonus stuff on blu-ray. Just to get us to spend more! ;)

The players aren't really all that expensive and the disks aren't all that much more.

The primary reason I'm not into blu-ray yet is because they never made one that would record. I don't have room in our entertainment center for two players of the type and I want to the capacity to record something as the idea that 'everythin I want is on demand somewhere' is downright lunacy. I always record what I want to keep, though in all fairness I haven't recorded anything off that DVD recorder in a very long time...